Door Quiz.

Jeremy D. Ledford

PCS Volunteer Chapter President
My boss bought a set of rear doors off of a hose drawn hearse this past weekend at an antiques sale. What were wondering is what they came off of? Builder, year, etc? We would also like a photo if one is around of a hearse with this style door as well. My pro-car expertise doesn't go back to horse drawn hearse's so I need some help with ID'ing this set of doors. As you can see the beveled glass is very nice along with the draped carvings with a dove with a ribbon in the lower corners. The doors are about 3 foot tall by 2 foot wide. You will note these doors are not flat but curved. Both doors weigh about 25 Lbs each I guess. Any ideas and help will be appreciated!

Attachments

• Old Hearse Doors 001.jpg
    Old Hearse Doors 001.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 258
  • Old Hearse Doors 002.jpg
    Old Hearse Doors 002.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 292
Note the location and type of hinges on the doors. It looks like these two doors were hinged in the middle and to each other. :myopinion:

Note the location and type of hinges on the doors. It looks like these two doors were hinged in the middle and to each other. :myopinion:

The hinges are on the outside. The back of the hearse was curved. The handles are shown in the center.

My guess is that Steinbrenner is the only one here old enough to know...:yankchain:

Obviously I am the only one old enough to know the proper placement of hinges. My comment above was in jest. I must be the one of the few on these forums with carpentry skills.. :thankyou2:

Remember the horse drawn hearse doors we have at the FH that I posted a few weeks back in this forum? Well, here's the project we completed today using them!:specool:

Attachments

• hearse dooe display. 001.jpg
    hearse dooe display. 001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 134
Back