fuel pump

anyone know where i can get a mechanical fuel pump for a 61 caddy eureka 3-way with a 390 engine? i've been to a bunch of parts stores and cant find anything. i thought about putting a block cover where the old fuel pump was and getting an inline electric pump but don't really know. is this a good idea?? just don't know the best route to take in this situation. thanks in advance for any advice!

fuel pump for a 61 Cadillac

Tanner,
I got my fuel pump at O'Reilly auto parts. It was about half the price of the ones on ebay. For a 61 they had to look in the book but they found a listing. Some of the stores do have 62 models listed in their computer. The 62 Cadillac uses the same pump. Make sure they do NOT get you a 63 pump. I would think most any auto parts store that has been in business for many years could get this pump. NAPA is another place to check.
Hope this info is useful.
Good luck,
Mike

First question that I have is... Do you have the original fuel pump for the car? .. If you do, then you can have your original fuel pump rebuilt. One thing to keep in mind when buying a replacement fuel pump, is that depending on when the pump was built or rebuilt, the materials used might not be compatible with the fuels of today. Another issue is if the pump that you have is original to the car, then it also depends on how original you want your engine to be. If keeping your car as original as possible means something to you, then I would have the original factory installed pump rebuilt and reinstall it. If keeping it all original, isn't that important to you, then a replacement pump is in order. If you go with the replacement pump, keep the one that you remove, so should you ever change your mind about originality, you will still have the one that is original to your car. Usually the core value on old fuel pumps is very little.
The Carter part number is M3019 and the Airtex part number is 713. This pump fits the Cadillac 6.0L 365cid V8 and 6.4L 390cid V8 engines from 1958 through 1962. The original pump for your car would have been a Carter. If you decide to rebuild your old one, then check our Recommended Vendors for names of reliable fuel pump re-builders.

not a lot to the pump. kits compatible with the new gas are around from places like caddy daddy http://www.mcveys.com/ the McVeys is a phone call to get anything he doesn't do e-mail well. Kanter is one more source. USA parts or Fisk work for a lot of stuff. a lot of these people list on e-bay also but always check which one is cheaper.

Fuel pump rebuilding

You can try;

Terrill Machine Inc.
1000 CR 454
DeLeon TX 76444

254-893-2610

I have used this service and have had good luck. They often have cores to rebuild. They may be able to set you up with one, if yours is MIA. They use the modern materials that can stand up to the new fuels and there pumps carry a one year warranty.

Bruce is right when he says you can trust in Terrill Machine Inc in Texas. I have bought parts from them and they are always the right part the first time.
Mike

My 2 cents

Receently thought I needed a fuel pump on our 1969 Sovereign. After buying the fuel pump from Napa, I discovered that the fuel inlet pipe thread fitting was a different size than the original. You would have to swap collars to make sure the inlet size is the same. I did not however install the new fuel pump as it was not needed. Don't hand over your original.

thanks everyone, all this is super helpful. yeah i took the original fuel pump off and carried it to the part stores just to make sure of a match. i'm definitely going to keep it and try to keep things original but i'm just really anxious to get her running on the road. the engine sounds great its just not gettin fuel to the carburator. it sure was nice bringin her back from the dead especially since it was '99 since she last ran.

Back