Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:38 PM
Website Member

Thanked 6,768 Times in 2,244 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 13 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Bush View Post
Richard are you telling us the Lifeliner is for sale?
I've had it for sale previously but missed my price by that much. I will have it back with the new A/C in it within a week and new front end. Got to get it on the road I have a Strawberry Festival Parade I'm doing on Monday, March 6th and last year, "It was freaking hot" hoping for cooler weather this year.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:01 PM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
If Eureka put one on it would have been the manifold style. They would have a large storage container most likely under the floor and a port close to the gurney head.if the original squad installed there own it would have to have been mounted. But if it was a portable who can say. Carrying a. Big bulb was not all that unusual. The part that gets us mixed up is training today. That is were those old pictures with the equipment layer out are so informative.
Hi Ed. Yes, certainly agree that typically an aspirator powered by manifold vacuum is what was common for quite some time. It is important to note that while some ambulances had the cylindrical vacuum reservoir - some did not. The contemporary installation instructions do not require it. My Pinner-Chrysler had a Rico RS-4 from the factory without a reservoir, my 1970 C/B Olds was similarly without one, and the Violetville Carryall I just posted a photo of did not either. Wasn't specifically referring to my Hi-Boy - but it's possible there was a Rico or similar. I'll be starting to post more neat articles from that archive soon, plus I ended up with a selection of 1950s/1960s rescue/ambulance manuals which have been illuminating with some great equipment lists and photos!

However, the topic that was of interest to me and posed to the group was:

1. Alternatives to the Rico, like the Violetville one had. Interested in seeing any photos that might exist showing similar elsewhere, or whether it was just a local thing. Rather ingenious!

2. Electric powered suction units like Gomco and Sklar, particularly since the Violetville's on-board system appears to have been cobbled together with parts from an on-board aspirator, how common were they before the introduction of the Laerdal Suction Unit (Gray Case) in the very late 1960s. While theoreticaly possible with inverter-equipped ambulances, reviewing a large quantity of available stories on Newspapers.com - the only thing referenced with inverter-equipped ambulances are "Rescue Saws (Just regular Sawzalls, apparently) and Incubators. I've tried to dig up every "layout" photo I can - and never seen one there either.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:42 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,661 Times in 5,763 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

That early it would depend a lot on the services medical Dr. Some were up on pre hospital car and some believed in a fast ride to the care. If you got one that believed you could do a little more the swoop and scoop they would offer training and want a equipped rig. Others didn't want you to do anything but bring the of to them. Inverters were mostly just a transformer under the hood and not capable of handling a lot of load. So onboard electrical equipment was not the norm.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 AM
PCS Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here is the pertinent section from an article from the Baltimore Sun, 11NOV1962. What we see set up in the Violetville ambulance appears to have been taught at the Baltimore City Ambulance Course.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2017, 12:02 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,661 Times in 5,763 Posts
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

On can gather from that article just how fast training was coming into first responders. Once the medical profession excepted it . Also how it grew in spurts not as a widely excepted practice.