Replacement windshield and parts for 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Ambulance

Hi everybody
My husband and I recently found and purchased a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville Superior Ambulance. It is currently in northern Utah and a friend started with the restoration. I think we get most spare parts but the windshield seems very difficult to get. I am also looking for the "Superior" emblem which is missing on the right, front fender. Can anybody help?
I also don't find a lot on the Internet about those particular cars. I know they made only about 316 in 1960 - built in Kosciusko, Mississippi by the Superior Coach Company.
This particular car was built for the US air force, but has since changed color (from a darker blue to light blue) and was used by the Sheriff. At least one still an see a golden sign on the doors: Kanab County - Sheriff - Search and rescue. I tried to find ANYTHING about this car online. but no such luck yet.
It would be nice to shine some light on the history. For the last 26 years or so it "rested" in Glendale, Utah.
I am also looking for some original Interior pictures in books, magazines, online, etc. Again: very few around.

The good news is that the windshield is the same as a Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, or Buick 4 door sedan. The bad news is that from what I have heard, the reproduction windshields don't fit very well. That windshield is set in a rubber gasket, and if at all possible, try to reuse the old gasket, since they fit better than any of the reproduction gaskets. I would attempt to find a used windshield if at all possible, and also try to get it with the original gasket still installed. They can be removed without breaking them if you take your time, and gently work the gasket and windshield out of the opening. I strongly suggest that you get a factory service manual which will give you instructions for repairing many of the items on the vehicle, and it usually also includes instructions for removal and reinstallation of the vehicles glass components.

.... and removing that used windshield in the Summer months makes life easier as well!! Make sure you have a helper and take your time. Usually the seal is so dry that they come out relatively easily.

Kirsten, welcome. Please keep us updated on your progress. And do not be afraid to ask questions. The PCS members are a great resource.

Parts are not overly difficult to locate. Hook a trailer, head to NC, and drag back this crusty yet relatively complete '60 Superior Pontiac military high top. Use as both a donor and reference. Windshield is intact as well.

16440857881_93c355d9fa_b.jpg

Attachments

• 16440857881_93c355d9fa_b.jpg
    16440857881_93c355d9fa_b.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 110
Pontiac Bonneville Ambulance Donor

Oh wow. North Carolina. Do you know the address of the "donor "car? Or a phone number/name of the owner?

if you take your time and don't get in a hurry. the liberal use of WD-40 will soften the rubber grommet. do it inside and out and into any crack or crevice you can get into then let it site for a day or two. then do it again. soone you can work a flat blade between the glass and the rubber and apply it in there . you do that a couple of time the rubber will be soft as new and you can get it out without any further damage to it.

I do not have any interior pictures of one of them. the military ones were fairly sparse inside.

Back