1939 Buick generator

I have a 1939 buick with a straight 8. I am trying to get the generator to charge. Does anybody have a diagram or know how to hook it up correctly? The diagram i have is vague. I can only get the generator to charge around 6.1 volts. Should it be around 7-7.5 volts?

Generator cold, no voltage regulation, field terminal grounded, with the engine at rpm ....

0 amps 800 rpm 6.3 volts
4 amps 975 rpm 6.7 volt
8 amps 1150 rpm 7.1 volt
12 amps 1335 rpm 7.5 volt
16 amps 1600 rpm 7.7 volt
20 amps 1925 rpm 7.9 volt
24 amps 2450 rpm 8.1 volt
27 amps 4000 (max) 8.4 volt

I have the complete engine compartment wiring schematic, and stats on all aspects of the electrical system but presently no way to reproduce it. This should help you isolate the problem if it is the generator or regulator.

I have the complete engine compartment wiring schematic, and stats on all aspects of the electrical system but presently no way to reproduce it. This should help you isolate the problem if it is the generator or regulator

Did you buy this new? Is this on paper or papyrus :dancing:

You should have 3 wires. A field, ground, and battery wire. The ground wire and battery wire are on the same terminal on your generator and run up to the regulator where they are connected to the correct posts. The field wire gets it's own post on the generator and runs to the field post on the regulator.

Field wire should be blue. Ground should be black, and battery should be brown. A generator will only give your decent "charge" at higher rpm's. If you drive at night you will notice your lights dim when at idle and get brighter as you give it gas. If you want higher voltage at idle you need to increase your idle speed on the carb.

If I were you I would get the generator rewound for 12 volts and change the car over to run on that system. You won't need to change out the wiring but the lights, radio, and gauges will need to be changed or have reducer put on them. It will look stock but will have newer car reliability.

Back