Power steering hoses Pontiac

Hello all,
Getting SO CLOSE to finally getting the '65 Bonneville back on the road after 30 years! After the latest test drive, the newly re-rebuilt engine (long story) and rebuilt transmission (TH400) seem to be functioning splendidly. The drive also convinced me the power steering pump needs to go back in! We have a '65 car with a '64 389 and '63 front pulley system and power steering pump. My question is: should I be looking for hoses that will fit a '65 or a '63? If the power steering box has the same fitting sizes for several years, what about the pumps? Any leads on where to purchase new ones? If I have to go somewhere to have hoses made, what fitting sizes do I ask for? Is that enough questions for one post? Probably. Thanks!

You might say that you have created a Frankenstein monster in the sense that 1963 and 1965 are two entirely different systems. The 1963 is an X frame car, and the 1965 is a perimeter frame car. Consequently, the 1963 front suspension and steering is, shall we say "generation 1", and the 1965 is "generation 2". The pumps are entirely different (checking Rockauto.com), so we will have to go back to what the chassis is, a 1965. If you still have access to all of the old engine brackets, etc., I would see if you can put all the 1965 parts onto the 1963 engine block, and then go with all 1965 power steering parts, to keep it original and easy. You might have a difficult time trying to find hoses to work with a 1963 pump to a 1965 box, not to mention that the pressures might not be the same.
I suggest that you go with Cardone parts whenever possible, and avoid the lesser known companies. I have heard both good and bad about Lares, and it seems difficult to understand why some sing praises about them, and others curse then to no end. I guess it comes down to the parts that they supplied, and if they worked the way that they are supposed to out of the box.

The same goes with the transmission linkage... You should try to stay with the 1965 linkage, and if necessary, adjust it so it will fit, assuming that the transmissions have some differences from year to year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18cW_yHo3PY

Attachments

• johnny-cashs-one-piece-at-a-time-car-working-class-ingenuity.jpg
    johnny-cashs-one-piece-at-a-time-car-working-class-ingenuity.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 167
UPDATE!!!​

I just did some additional digging in some parts websites, and to my surprise, I just found that the PONTIAC BONNEVILLE Steering Box is the same from 1959 through 1974.. I didn't check to see if the pitman arm is the same, since I don't have the parts book to check that part, which was never supplied in the aftermarket. The only thing that might be different is the length of the hoses. If all your engine accessories are 1963, then just go with the 1963 pump and hoses. Just make sure to use Dextron Automatic Transmission Fluid in the power steering reservoir. Modern Power Steering Fluid isn't viscous enough for these old systems.

1965 power steering

That figures. This car never fails to bite me just when I think I have it figured out! I really hope we can use the '63 pump with the '65 steering box - it would make things easier even if a custom pressure hose would need to be made. Does the '65 pump mount to the engine independent of the alternator or do they share a bracket? If we could mount a '65 power steering pump and leave the alternator over on the passenger side, and still use the existing crankshaft/water pump pulleys, that would be GREAT.

Too many years have gone by since I worked on the old Pontiacs, however, from my old memory, the power steering pump mounted lower than the alternator, on the left side of the engine. Where you run into problems is when you have pulleys from one year, and attempt to mount devices from another year on the engine, because sometimes the set backs are different. It might not be noticeable, but with time, you will find that you are wearing out belts, and other issues such as belt squealing. For simplicity, I would go with all 1965 parts if they are still available. It will make for future service a lot easier.

Thanks very much!

If I can use the '63 pulleys and pump with the '65 steering box, then that's what I'll do! I remember seeing the X frame when we picked up the '63 motor and thought it was some custom job. I'd never seen a frame that looked like that!

I just ordered a pressure line from Pep Boys that supposedly fits a '63 and a return line for a '65 will be ordered from NAPA (we have a little credit there). Hopefully by next week, it will all have worked out! I'll post an update with pictures when that happens.....

Thanks again!

If you have hose ends to fit the pump and steering box you can take them with measurements to a place that makes hoses for hydralic constuction equipment and they can make hoses for you.We have done this with equipment for years

fittings

That would have been something - having the original fittings. There might have been power steering hoses with one of the three motors we picked up over the years trying to get this thing going. Maybe I should have looked through the boxes before ordering! Anyway, we'll see.

just remember with everything except the Caddy all parts would be factory to the original car. when swapping parts the exchange manual is a must. it will tell you what is a direct swap and what will work with what changes. that saves a lot of the confusion you are wondering about.

Back