Don't forget the U-joints

I had a slight vibration in my coach for a while. I drove it down to new jersey last week and once I got home, it was not the same car I drove down. Went to napa and picked up a new U-joint. The old one on the slip yoke on the rear shaft had completely came apart. The was no grease in it just rust and chewed up metal. Long story short, make sure you grease these things if you can.

This is a good reminder. It is also important to grease those carrier bearings if your car has one!

Also, don't purchase U joints based on price alone. Insist on a major manufacturer such as Spicer. There are a lot of cheap off shore companies flooding the market with inferior parts at cheap prices. The better quality U joints will have grease fittings on them. Some even have a grease fitting on the end cap in case you can't get to the center of the cross bearing. They usually have a hex head screw in the hole, that you remove to insert the grease fitting, and then remove and reinstall the screw when you are done lubing the joint.

Back