Transmission cooler

follow the trans lines, they will go to a smaller looking "radiator" usually in front of your cars radiator, many are about a foot high and 2 feet or so long. I know its not a good picture but you can see mine in the background. I can go out ant take a better picture if you need it.
If you do not have a cooler, your trans lines will go into the radiator tanks on your cars factory cooling radiator.
1949 S&S Knickerbocker combo 100.jpg

GM installed a power steering cooler on the commercial chassis cars as standard equipment. Transmission cooling is accomplished by having the fluid run through a section of the engine radiator. If you have metal transmission lines going into the radiator, then there is no aftermarket cooler installed.

Most Cadillac commercial chassis just had the normal trans cooler in the radiator (Two lines going in the passengers side of the radiator). I have found a couple that had an auxillary cooler in front of all the radiators even one with a large plastic aux. fan assembly stuffed in there. Unless you are pulling some kind of trailer or live in a very hilly area what GM did is fine. Most all the Cop Cars have an aux cooler and Power steering cooler in front of all radiators. As an aside I recommend all Electric fan only equipped owners install an override switch to turn the fans on at will this could well save an engine. Interestingly enough most of the Crown Vic Cabs in NYC have the cooling fans wired to run all the time.

I agree what Peter said, Ive been driving a pro car as a daily driver for the last 24 years, and I have never had any problems with the way GM did it (without the cooler). The one I posted is the first car Ive owned with one, and that is because the car was originally a 3 speed, and now has an automatic, so it has to have a cooler, since the radiator has no built in trans cooler.

This type are the good ones,You can buy them new for about 100 bucks or the local pick and pulls you can have them for about 16 bucks . Ford , Chevy ,Chrysler all use these on a lot of the trucks. They all have different brackets and you can use the different brackets for almost a OEM look. The best way is to run the cooler is in line with the factory in tank cooler. Out here you can never have enough cooling.

Attachments

• DSC02616.jpg
    DSC02616.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC02615.jpg
    DSC02615.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC02617.jpg
    DSC02617.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 95
but the question with the add on coolers is? if you going threw the tank cooler, do you first pump it threw the auxiliary cool then threw the tank cooler back to the transmission or the other way around? at what point do you reach the point of diminishing return, causing the radiator to loose cooling by passing preheated air threw it and blocking off air flow to it?

now me I would think you need to do it all. trade out the copper core small tube thick radiator for one of the new aluminium thin cores, with one or two tubes. then it would be safe to add the aluminum transmission cooler to the front of it. as stated you can't have to much cooling.

nice set up Dan I like it.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone!

Yup I have a cooler. Ok now to find a condenser, and a dehydrator receiver with a sight glass.
Thanks again

Back