Floor is too hot to touch!

Jim Staruk

Super Site Supporter
Super Site Supporter
Hi all,

I took the '75 out for a 1/2 hour ride the other night. After backing it into the garage, I opened the side door of the patient compartment and noticed the floor (where the attendant's feet will rest) was very hot. I mean, I couldn't hold my hand against the floor. I'm surprised the rubber flooring didn't melt! I looked under the car and the muffler was directly under the hot spot. This can't be good. Should the muffler be getting this hot? I'm afraid the car will catch fire if this continues. I was told that when this exhaust was installed, they used 2" pipes instead of the recommended 2 3/4" pipes. Can this be causing the excessive heating? Thanks for any suggestions.

Jim

Rick is right Cat Converter may be plugged or the engine is running way too rich and causing the cat and muffler to overheat. If the engine is running way too rich it will plug the converter in short order. This needs to be delt with in short order as a fire is easily possible.

Not sure what the requirements are for your 75 Jim,as far as emissions in MA

but I would get rid of that cat con in a heartbeat....they are nothing but trouble.....except of course the thieves love em...:rolleyes:

Here in Pa. 1975 and up mess with anything emissions and no safety or emission inspection large ticket if you do not have. I am a licensed Pa. Inspection Mechanic and part of the process is to check that all emissions equipment is in place and working and not altered or messed with if so no pass. Also violation of Federal Law for removal of converter we all know how much they enforce their laws. All that aside remove the converter and it will run better for sure if Mass. does not have some way to check up on you pull and put a piece of pipe in its place.

it sounds to me like either some one left the heat shield off or put the muffler in the wrong place. all that stuff gets vary hot and there is not as much air flowing under the car as you would think. a tin shield between the muffler and the floor would be the cure. you can put it either on the car or on the muffler to get the desired effect. but with a good system and the the muffle to close to the floor it will get to hot to stand on. you get a stream of hot exhaust right on the floor, it will melt the flooring.

Back