Georgia Super Speeder Law

Peter Jennings

PCS Member
Hey everybody coming thru Georgia, unless your running code 3, John Law will be watching. Speeding at 85 mph or greater on ANY Georgia highway will net you an additional $200 fine over the standard speeding ticket. On two lane blacktop, anything over 75 mph will get you burned. Effective date was 1 Jan 2010.:Exclamation:
Just thought you'd like to know in case your going to see Richard Vyse, the God Father, or just Mickey Mouse and Goofy!:biker:

Just thought you'd like to know in case your going to see Richard Vyse, the God Father, or just Mickey Mouse and Goofy!:biker:

Now that is serious funny. I drove a body to north Georgia last month, good thing that law was not in effect then. If visiting the "Ga-Father" I'm sure he would make them an offer they couldn't refuse. :thumb:
Thanks Peter! :thankyou2:

PS: A couple Canadian PCS members heading this way later this month to spend a couple days down this way but pretty sure they're flying. :cheers:

Hey Danny and especially LeeAnn, paying attention to this post.....

got to make your money were you can. here you got to be going 50 mph over the posted limit before the clap the cuffs on and you go straight to jail do not pass go, do not collect .

And Welcome to Ontarioaryario

Note 50 km is about 32 mph

Street Racers and Aggressive Drivers – Effective September 30, 2007
The legislation includes tough measures for those who choose to race on Ontario’s roads, including higher fines and longer suspensions:

The maximum fine increases from $1,000 to $10,000 upon conviction for street racing, making it the highest penalty in Canada. The minimum fine increases from $200 to $2,000.
Police can issue an immediate seven-day driver’s licence suspension and seven-day vehicle impoundment for street racing, participating in a driving contest or stunt driving.
Courts can impose a driver licence suspension of up to 10 years for a second conviction, if the second conviction occurs within 10 years of the first. For a first conviction, the maximum licence suspension period remains at 2 years.
The definition of a “driving stunt” includes driving a motor vehicle at 50 km/h or more above the posted speed limit. The Act also bans driving a motor vehicle on a highway with a connected nitrous oxide system. Some street racers use nitrous oxide to enhance the acceleration capabilities of their vehicles.

AND

Effective January 1, 2010, penalties for the following offences will increase:

failure to stop at a red light - the maximum fine will increase from $500 to $1,000
failure to wear a seat belt and failure to ensure passengers under 16 are properly secured - the maximum fine will increase from $500 to $1,000
careless driving and failure to remain at the scene of a collision - the maximum fine will increase from $1,000 to $2,000. Other existing maximum penalties for these offences will remain, including a two-year licence suspension and six-month jail term.
Penalties for drivers who do not pull over and stop for emergency vehicles or who follow fire vehicles too closely will undergo the greatest change:

first offence: a maximum fine of $2,000, three demerit points plus a possible two-year licence suspension -- up from the current maximum penalty of a $500 fine.
subsequent offences (within five years): a maximum fine of $4,000 fine, three demerit points, a two-year driver's licence suspension and a six-month prison sentence - up from the current maximum penalty of a $500 fine.

All of the above is nothing more than another tax grab. The normal license suspension for a first offense is one year. The stunt driving law has been ruled unconstitutional by two seperate courts but the province continues to enforce it, while they appeal the ruling. Not unusual for the OPP in our county to lay several stunt driving charges on a 30 mile section of Highway 401 in a single weekend. Many of these charges are against US driver's.

And One More

The legal limit in Ontario is .08, over which you are charged with driving while impaired (DWI or DWU). However, last fall the legislation was changed so that at .05 your car is impounded for 3 days and your license suspended for 3 days. No charges laid but they do notify your insurance company. Waiting for this one to be ruled unconstitutional as well. A fine example of government out of control.

The good news about these higher Canadian fines is that the fines are in Canadian dollars, so you will make out well with the exchange rate. :poster_oops:

The good news about these higher Canadian fines is that the fines are in Canadian dollars, so you will make out well with the exchange rate. :poster_oops:

Don't get your hopes up too much. As of today, $1 US only equals $1.03 Canadian.

Thanks for posting the info about Ontario, Dean. I was going to, but you beat me to it. It's so easy and tempting to speed on the 400 north of Barrie too - especially when it's in the middle of the night and there's no one on the road. I'm sure that the OPP could pull over a lot of people then.

thats only 80 in a 30. the hp would do blood runs in excess of 140. you got to get out of those high denesity overpopulated places to enjoy your self. here let me give you the offical Wy HP greeting :thumbsdown: if your not doing ten over all you get is a wave. we had one govener that decited 75 was to slow in the interstare. so that the fine for speeding for the first 5 mph over in the interstate is 5 bucks. goverment mandate? what goverment mandate. the last time I had the 72 ambulance out for the stay centrel meet I set it at 80 and drove it 400 miles that way. did not slow down till I hit the Mn boarder. when I was 16 just learing how to drive the speed limit in SD was 70 day 65 night on all the roads. so to me that is not fast, just normal. I really have a hard time driving in rural Il the 55 thing is to me confusing and I find my self with out the cruse on doing 70 again.

Hell couldn't go that fast in the Criterion right now due to front end wobbling around. Lifeliner will hit 100 easy with no shakes.

Speeding at 85 mph or greater on ANY Georgia highway will net you an additional $200 fine over the standard speeding ticket.

Sorry Danny, guess it will take me longer to up there when I come visit you from now on. I'm used to doing 90ish going up. Just kidding, I keep it right at 85ish :D

Although from what I've seen, the police in Jasper are more concerned with flashing lights and sirens being use on retired emergency vehicles more than they care about speeding! :hide:

more speeding news

You think some of our speeding laws are tough? The law in Switzerland allows the judge to acess a fine based on your net worth. The top fine for speeding so far is $290,000. The article did not say if any procars were involved in the breaking of the law or in the apprehension of the speeder.
Mike
61 MM

Last edited:
Back