Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:07 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Help with my 1973 Pontiac Grandville Superior Hearse

I am restoring my 1973 Pontiac Grandville Superior Hearse, "Stiffy." It has the original 455 engine. Not sure if it is Super Duty or not? He recently overheated REALLY bad when the water pump went out. Now the engine is seriously messed up. It makes a pretty raunchy knocking noise, has no oil pressure, and the spark plugs are wet. I have not pulled the motor out, yet, but I am thinking the head gasket is blown and possibly the valves are making the knocking noise... OR (even worse) the pistons are shot and maybe threw a rod.

Should I try to rebuild my 455 engine? Or should I shop for a rebuilt 455 engine? Or should I buy a comparable engine (Chevy 454, Chevy 350 long block, etc)?

If I rebuild my engine or get a new engine, should I get a new transmission now, as well? Or should I try to rebuild my transmission? Or should I just wait until the transmission goes out?

Is there a book like the Hollander Interchange for hearses? "Stiffy" also needs some body work, and I am wondering if I should work on remolding the dented doors or I should find new doors on another junkyard vehicle. I also need a new front windshield. My local Pick-N-Pull has a 1973 Pontiac Grandville and I am not sure which parts will match up. I want to snag all of the spare parts I can for cheap.

Any help is much appreciated. "Stiffy" is in hibernation for the winter while I shop around for parts. The work begins in Spring.

I have long been lurking the forums. I am proud to now be a member!
I will post photos of my pride and joy later.

Thanks everyone!

Brooke
Old 11-30-2012, 02:49 PM
PCS Elected Director

Thanked 13,570 Times in 5,723 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

if your wanting to keep your superior pontiac factory then your best bet is to get the engine you have over hauled. you just don't ever know what happeded to it till it gets torn down. but to me it sounds like water in the cylinders. a number of places it can get there from. but anyway you look, you are in for majore work. the easy thing would be to pick up a used 455 and drop it in. go about enjoying the car. if you do that put a new timming chain and gears in before you drop it in. that would be the weak link on the poncho.

swaping to a engine that did not come in your car( 350 chevy) is never easy and you'll spend more money doing that then fixing what you have. stay with the right engine at least.

Tags
1973, 455 engine, interchange, pontiac, superior