what ever happened to......

Rick Franklin

PCS Member
i was asked the other day about the 78 Cadillac ambulance that Paul Steinberg had that passed thru my hands way back in 2003. All i could tell the inquiring party was that it went "back east". Paul, any updates on this car?

Ed is correct. I had the car painted, and the shop where it was painted went belly up, and called at the last minute to pick the car up. I picked the car up, and luck for me, I had kept all the parts that were removed from the car at my home, with the exception of the rear bumper. I have worked on putting the car back together off and on for the last few years, but my other cars have taken precedence over the Superior. I estimate that it will take between 40 - 60 hours to complete putting everything back on the car, with installing the glass in the 2 front doors taking the most of the time. I have all the side lights, and those should be relatively easy to reinstall, just having to figure out which one goes where, or drilling new holes for the screws might be the faster way. The one thing that I have always said, a car in parts takes up much more space than a car as a whole, and all the parts fill the rear compartment of the car. I just don't know when or if I will ever get to putting it all back together, and for that reason, I have offered to sell the car to a few people in the PCS, but unfortunately, they are not mechanical minded enough to recognize a diamond in the rough. The car runs and drives if you put new batteries into it, so I might do that in the spring, and then put it out for sale. The car has less than 25,000 miles on it, and the body had very little rust, mostly on the bottom of the doors, and that was all fixed with new metal. I have finished working on the 1969, and the 1962 Chevy is just about completed, so if all goes well, I will either start on the 1978, or sell it and then enjoy the rest of the cars that I have that I can drive. Working on cars is fun, but at a certain point, it is more fun to just get into them and drive them. I have a 1962 Corvair air conditioned convertible that I started restoration on about 20+ years ago, and it also has stalled, and I would like to get that one done also. So much to do, and so little time left to do it all.

Back