68 Cadillac MM Combo (Restore thread)

I don't dispute your statement on cooling effect at all. I never get the premix stuff either. down were he is 0 would be more then low enough to prevent any damage and still offer the the pump lub and rust protection needed.

heater not working or fan not working two different things. water should flow threw the heater core on that gm car at all times. except on max air.

in that case I will set the heater to max anyway when I do it.

Well it was a successful operation, it took a good 40-45 minutes until I steadily stopped seeing bubbles. But its staying cool now, and no longer stalling. I had noticed that my overflow tank was disconnected, so I filled my radiator and overflow before burping it and it was taking a little while to fill. Its then that I realized there was a hold in my overflow tank.

From what I understand 68 didnt even come with an overflow. This weekend I may go up to oreillys and see if they have any containers I can buy cheap, and while im at it I may pick up a recovery radiator cap. I'm sure the EPA will appreciate it.

It means nothing to the epa. There is a cold line on the radiator. If when it is cold it is on the line it will not over flow. As you have just discovered unnecessary things are just one more thing to go wrong.

Well yesterday I took my 5 year old son in the hearse with me to drop a bunch of bags of old clothes off at goodwill and get some groceries. As luck would have it as soon as I pull into the driveway the car stalls and will not start again. I say luck because I feel fortunate that this occured in my driveway as opposed to the road.

It was a warm day so I thought maybe it was vaporlock, waited half an hour and came out and same problem. At once point it did start for a few seconds and sputtered out again. Made sure I didnt leak fuel anywhere and that it indeed had gas. No luck.

I had things to do so I decided to just let it sit until morning and try again. I didnt like leaving it diagonal on my driveway but at least it wasnt in the street. This morning I went out and gave it FIVE good long slow pumps then got it fired up, I quickly moved it the rest of the way up the driveway before it stalled again. Seems I have very low fuel pressure as 5 pumps was just enough to start it, but its not moving gas quick enough to stay running.

I'm probably going to take a look at the filter first, maybe put a jar under and turn the key on to see if anything is fed into the jar or not. If fuel is getting to the filter then I'd assume the pump is fine. If thats the case then maybe the carb filter is culprit.

I just hope I can get it sorted soon, because I already registered for a car show June 8th and was looking forward to that. At least I have a plan though

Are you if you have plugged the filter up this soon one would suspect rust in the tank. But just so you know. When you pump the foot feed all your doing is putting gas stored in the carb into the intake and setting the choke. Having the fuel pump go out is most likely depending on how old it is one dose of alcohol is all it takes. And today you can try but to avoid that but it's mixed in ever everything

Are you if you have plugged the filter up this soon one would suspect rust in the tank. But just so you know. When you pump the foot feed all your doing is putting gas stored in the carb into the intake and setting the choke. Having the fuel pump go out is most likely depending on how old it is one dose of alcohol is all it takes. And today you can try but to avoid that but it's mixed in ever everything

Yeah that filter is only about a year old, but its also a cheapo filter, I agree that its probably not the filter, but I will check the easy things first. on the bright side its a clear filter so i can see if theres something blocking. I also suspect the pump. I know that one of the previous owners switched to an electric pump, and a buddy mentioned that its possible that if it was swapped to electric the fuel pump might have been mounted on a frame rail near the tank. I need to get under and check. If im lucky I can access it without dropping the tank.

If I have to drop the tank I will likely have to get it towed somewhere to get that taken care of, since I cant really safely lift it.

I was under the impression that I could run the hose into a jar and turn the key once to aux to give power to the pump, and if the pump was not fully functioning it would pour slowly instead of its normal quick speed. Is this incorrect?

This was my assumption and was my plan.

You never said it was a electric pump! Now we all know what most of your problems are. Throw it away put the mechanical one back on. put a pre filter in its place. You don't have a return line on the car. The electric pump does a constent flow rate no matter what the engine speed is. Right now it has most likely quit you. Remove the front hose turn the key to on will test that. But be back there and have some one else run the key. If its working it will spray a lot of gas vary quick.

You never said it was a electric pump! Now we all know what most of your problems are. Throw it away put the mechanical one back on. put a pre filter in its place. You don't have a return line on the car. The electric pump does a constent flow rate no matter what the engine speed is. Right now it has most likely quit you. Remove the front hose turn the key to on will test that. But be back there and have some one else run the key. If its working it will spray a lot of gas vary quick.

Looks like the correct pumps range $25-50. Since I dont have the means to remove the tank myself I have scheduled to have it towed a small shop that does alot of classic work. Going to be dropping it off Friday. Advised him already that I want to remove the faulty electric pump and replace it with an original mechanical pump.

This shop was well hidden and I found via word of mouth as opposed to internet. But after looking them up their reputation seems to be very positive. He knew without looking it up what engine it was, so that shows hes at least slightly familiar. Not that there were a great deal of variety for these though.

Now I'm thinking after putting the mechanical pump back on, I may be able to test connecting my return line back up with the "correct" fuel filter and see if it still bogs or not. Because back in the beginning I found the car would bog with the return line in use. So I bypassed it.

Maybe that electric pump was the issue all along. I have always had a great lag on throttle which I always just attributed to it being an old car. even if I'm cruising on the highway. Let off the gas then press it again and it takes a good second or 2 before the engine responds.

I'm anxious to see what all will improve when I put this pump back on.

Back