maybe

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I have got to thinking and trust me this always cost me money. I have stated a number of time if things go south, go the the last thing you fixed before the dip. will in the case of this 72 Seville it was the water pump. the car had sat for sometime with what must have been straight water in the block. the pump that was on it had had rust about half way up. so much that it bend the impeller when we started it. the only thing separation the water pump and the timing chain is a steel plate. it was pitted but look solid. I'm going out to were the car is tomorrow and pull that water pump. my bet is the plate has a hole on it now. as water is pouring into crank case when you fill the radiator. just can't see that happening in any other location. it should look like the last picture.

Attachments

• IMG_7775.jpg
    IMG_7775.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_7776.jpg
    IMG_7776.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 270
  • IMG_8860.jpg
    IMG_8860.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 273
But as usual I get into trouble when things inside are off. If that 65 dollar timing cover is the problem I have a expensive boat securing device here.

picked up the car today and towed it home. we got it striped down this far and took a picture. I can see a small hole threw but don't know if it alone will account for the rate of water flowing into the oil pan. I get a puller tomorrow and we can get it off and look at the backside.

Attachments

• IMG_8863.jpg
    IMG_8863.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_8864.jpg
    IMG_8864.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 202
got everything back together again. we ended up putting in a new timing chain as the we were down that far and the other was warn enough to change it. got things sealed back up and the car even started after a prime. I haven't set anything don't have a clue were the timing is right now but let it run for about a hr and it looks like it will hold water were it should be. we took it out for a run just to stir things up a bit and when we got back things were still as they should be. if it's holding presser tomorrow we will call it cured and move on.
set the points and timing were they should be and get the carb overhauled. valve cover gaskets that hold oil and drive it some. the heater works no control but it needs to be hot now anyway. we'll mess with stuff later right now we have a Pontiac to finish. you can here it run here https://www.dropshots.com/jer57747/date/2018-10-13/16:42:28

Attachments

• IMG_8992.jpg
    IMG_8992.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_8993.jpg
    IMG_8993.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 122
Back