in need

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I find myself in need of a 455 Olds engine. this one has a cracked block some were inside down low in the water jacket. so if anyone has one laying around let me know. it runs good hits on all 8 but only holds water in the oil pan. had I left off that radiator cap I wold not have found it. so right now used would be the best way to go. rebuilds are not easy to find for it.

Texted a friend in North Platte who, I though, might know of one. He only knows of a 455 Buick currently.

Last edited:
My buddy in North Platte got back to me to let me know that he remembered that ABC Auto Salvage in North Platte has a '73 Olds 98. He says that the car is a rust bucket, but has a good running 455 in it. They want $500 for the complete car. Phone number is 308.532.4570. The car is triple black.

I find myself in need of a 455 Olds engine. this one has a cracked block some were inside down low in the water jacket. so if anyone has one laying around let me know. it runs good hits on all 8 but only holds water in the oil pan. had I left off that radiator cap I wold not have found it. so right now used would be the best way to go. rebuilds are not easy to find for it.

K&W Block sealer works wonders

Thought about that but as its were you can't see it that would be a last ditch effort to have it up and movable. Right noe just wishing that we had filed it with water before we button it up. As all it did was run into the crank case. Most likely older damage from some other incident. But with out tearing it down who can say.

Ed. The best thing I have found to seal cracked blocks is good old ground black pepper. Many years ago my fine employees forgot to antifreeze our 73 Ford three car rollback yep it froze cracked the block behind the fly wheel. Water pouring out. Anyway we tried every sealer we could find and managed to reduce the flow to a drip drip but not sealed. One day I am eating my lunch in a local diner at the counter telling a friend about the problem. The guy (a stranger) sitting on the next stool chimes in with "I think I can help you". I was all ears. He told me he was in the plumbing and heating business with commercial units being his specialty. He said for cracked boilers they used black ground pepper to seal the boilers. I was dumbfounded I thought this guy is pulling my leg. He assured me it worked. So on the way back to the yard I stopped at the market got a can of pepper. When back at the yard I dumped 1/2 a can in the radiator of the truck two days later no leak of any kind. I have used the pepper since with good results always its worth a try what have you got to loose?

Back