Federal Electronic Sirens

Kurt Arends

PCS Elected Director 2021-2024
Can someone tell me the difference between a Federal Director and a Federal Interceptor?? Thanks

The earlier Director had Wail, Yelp, and an Alert tone. Later models dropped the Alert. Interceptors had Wail, Yelp, and a Hi-Lo tone.

Directors also had a PA microphone direct wired. Interceptor had an optional mic. Also, the Interceptor had a face plate that had white letters that looked illuminated at night while the Director's was printed right on the control box.

Output was 58 watts with 1 speaker and nearly 100 watts with two sepakers.

Do you suppose anyone makes a small, 58W speaker? I just replaced my large SUV with a '15 Ford Escape... and there is NOWHERE to put my speaker. Yet I still want to use my Federal Interceptor. Just because.

Just a slight correction. The Director (brown faced model) only had the PA/Manual, Radio, Wail and Yelp.

The Interceptor (blue faced model) had the same functions plus the Alert tone that was later changed to the Hi-Lo tone.

Here are a couple photos of the Federal Interceptor that's in my combo, both daytime and nighttime views. Just a couple notes:

The green sticker in the corner with the number on it is not original to the siren. The previous owner added it.

In the nighttime view, the green light under the siren is not part of the siren. That is from an unrelated accessory under the dashboard.

The same light bulb illuminates both the red "power on" indicator and the faceplate for nighttime visibility. The result is that unless the siren is turned on, the faceplate is dark. I rewired the light in my siren to come on whenever I turned the car's lights on, frankly so that I could even find the "on" switch in the dark!

As for a speaker, my car uses a Federal Dynamax speaker. The original speaker that was in my car was mounted between the grille and the radiator, and was so large that I disliked how much airflow it blocked. A fellow PCS member who is a police officer recommended the Dynamax, and I'm perfectly happy with it. Though in my case, my siren is only used at PCS meets, not out in the real world.

Attachments

• siren1.jpg
    siren1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 198
  • siren2.jpg
    siren2.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:
in reference to the speaker get on out the one off the crown Vick's. they are weather prof and small enough to fit any were. the wattage is not as impotent as the ohms. all the federal take a 11 ohm speaker. as long as the watts are equal or hight then your out put your good to go. I using one of the 100 watt ones on my pa-20. now I was told that this is a picture of everyone of them puritan two our cars.

Attachments

• federal #Pa series electronic siren.jpg
    federal #Pa series electronic siren.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 194
Using warning equipment to its potential

As an aside, in 74-75 when I spent my summers with the then City of Calgary Ambulance Service they were fitted with PA 20-2Es. All however had had their mikes removed because of some crews providing editorial comments to drivers who refused to move out of the way. I suspect they were not the only service to have to implement this policy.

Ditto what Tim said,the service I worked at in Woodstock also removed them,guess my telling the mayor to kindly move his backside out of the way when the siren failed to get his attention was frowned upon P.S not quite the phrase I used :rolleyes:

Robert L. Koryciak - PCS 2015 Houston Coordinator

Houston Ambulances had the mikes attached to the Federal PA-200 siren! One day, A Paramedic named Luke Gibson, and his partner (Not Me) was sitting along Hall Road in (At That Time- A Rural area of Southern Houston), "Calling Cows" on the P.A. ! The Deputy Chief of the EMS, L.O. "Whitey" Martin pulled up, and asked Luke "Do you think calling cows on the P.A. is what you need to be doing on a City EMS Unit?" Luke replied - "No Chief, I guess not!"
The Chief said "Knock it off!" As the Chief began to pull away, Luke said "Hey Chief, You got any beer in that car?" The Chief replied "NO!" Luke, who was one who never let"Rank" get him rattled! Then said "Well, do you want some?"(Beer) Chief Martin drove off in a fit!

The next day, all EMS vehicles were pulled in and all "Mikes" were disconnected or the wires cut off older systems!

I was proud to call Luke Gibson my partner for 6 years in Houston, Lots of Great Memories and Interesting responses!

I also recall my days in (1976-77) Marietta, Ga, at Norman Medford Funeral Home, where my partner Chuck Johnson also gave "Step by Step instructions" via P.A. system to inattentive drivers as well as commentary about their "Parentage!"

Robert L. Koryciak - PCS 2015 Houston Coordinator

If I remember correctly- the earlier "Directors" with The "Alert Tone" sounded as a long "Wail" that rose to high pitch then fell-followed by a "Hi-Lo" tone! I remember these sirens on Genesse Township Mi, Station #2 Apparatus in the late 60's and early 70's!

I think that this has been one of the most informative and entertaining threads on this site in a long time! Love the stories as much as the information on the equipment!

If I remember correctly- the earlier "Directors" with The "Alert Tone" sounded as a long "Wail" that rose to high pitch then fell-followed by a "Hi-Lo" tone! I remember these sirens on Genesse Township Mi, Station #2 Apparatus in the late 60's and early 70's!

The alert tone, standard on both models through 1966 or so, was a steady tone meant to mimic storm warning sirens.

Scott I believe, if memory serves placing the dial between wail and yelp gave the same sound as the original cruisers on the original Hawaii 5 0.

Back