Glass prices

John...

You are making this more difficult that that which is necessary and makes it more difficult for others, that are less knowledgeable, to follow. Bruce Bassett, specifically asked about one particular door glass by one particular manufacturer. Bring in other body builders (manufacturers) into the discussion is muddying the waters. If we keep the responses to this thread specifically to the question asked, it will go a long way to giving accurate information. In this particular case, less information is better information.
Thanks Paul

How was I making it more difficult? The original poster wanted to know if there was a difference between commercial and standard side glass because he was not sure what he had in his M-M. If you look at my first posts, I said there is a difference and depending on what model M-M he had would depend if it was standard or commercial side glass. No other coachbuilder was even mentioned at the time. Pretty straight forward if you ask me.
Peter is the one that tried to say that I was wrong and that the Olympian did not have commercial side glass because it did not look like the glass in his S&S so HE is the one that brought up other coachbuilders first, not me. After that is when I went into further detail about the glass.
If I did not speak up about the incorrect info and the OP in fact did have an Olympian he would have gotten the wrong glass because someone else did not have the facts and bases his response on a coach from a different builder.

Last edited:
Final Chapter on glass:
I was waiting to post this till I spoke with Attilla. We did a research project on this when he had access to an Olympian a couple of years ago and I wanted to speak to him to make sure my memory had not failed.
#1 There are three windshields a standard used in all vehicles with this body shell from 91 to 96 this excludes 91-92 Cadillac as they used the old body, the second a Commercial glass used in the S&S commercial glass Victoria and Masterpiece the third a Commercial glass used in the Olympian and perhaps some others this glass is six inches wider at the top and about 1 1/2 inches higher than the Standard.
#2 Side glass Front Doors ONLY, two types, the standard application as above and the Commercial Glass Used in the S&S cars above. There is no Commercial glass used in the Front Door side windows of the Olympian such a glass is not made. The distance in height and width is made by altering the door outward from the belt line up to give a width and height increase needed for the Commercial Glass windshield.
#3 Additional glass and hardware research shows The standard 91 to 96 front door glass are all the same EXCEPT 94 to 96 Cadillac shown to have a different NAGS number and different GM part number I can see no difference in the glass when sitting next to each other. The Window regulator is the same in all 91 to 96. The doors with the exception of holes for trim are the same from 91 to 96 EXCEPT for the mirror mounting it being the same from 91 to 93 and the same from 94 to 96 you can change this by drilling and filling. Hardly worth doing due to the many doors available.
I hope this clears this up for everyone.

Final Chapter on glass:
I was waiting to post this till I spoke with Attilla. We did a research project on this when he had access to an Olympian a couple of years ago and I wanted to speak to him to make sure my memory had not failed.
#1 There are three windshields a standard used in all vehicles with this body shell from 91 to 96 this excludes 91-92 Cadillac as they used the old body, the second a Commercial glass used in the S&S commercial glass Victoria and Masterpiece the third a Commercial glass used in the Olympian and perhaps some others this glass is six inches wider at the top and about 1 1/2 inches higher than the Standard.
#2 Side glass Front Doors ONLY, two types, the standard application as above and the Commercial Glass Used in the S&S cars above. There is no Commercial glass used in the Front Door side windows of the Olympian such a glass is not made. The distance in height and width is made by altering the door outward from the belt line up to give a width and height increase needed for the Commercial Glass windshield.
#3 Additional glass and hardware research shows The standard 91 to 96 front door glass are all the same EXCEPT 94 to 96 Cadillac shown to have a different NAGS number and different GM part number I can see no difference in the glass when sitting next to each other. The Window regulator is the same in all 91 to 96. The doors with the exception of holes for trim are the same from 91 to 96 EXCEPT for the mirror mounting it being the same from 91 to 93 and the same from 94 to 96 you can change this by drilling and filling. Hardly worth doing due to the many doors available.
I hope this clears this up for everyone.

Pete,
I think you meant to say that the '93-'96 doors are the same with the exception of the mirrors. '91 & '92 were the previous('80s) body style. '93 & '94 shared the same mirrors, and '95 & '96 shared the same mirrors.

MY apologies for the lack of clarity by 91 to 96 I was including Buick ,Oldsmobile,and Chevrolet ALL doors are the same EXCEPT Cadillac which as stated 91 and 92 were the old body style. I was told at the time Cadillac did this to give Coach builders time for catchup as they did in 1948 and 1965. Looked a bit silly at the time to have on one hand a Buick,Oldsmobile, or Chevrolet that looked like today (whether you liked the look or not) or a Cadillac "The Standard of the world" that looked like suddenly its 1980. Still in Pro cars the name outsold the style so I guess GM was right.

Posting "Larger more vertical windows" is correct its just how you apply it. The windshield is larger (wider at the top and higher),and the door is higher by moving the top outward above the belt line thus changing the height by lessening the angle (strait up is higher) but not changing the glass the cheaper way out for the builder. I have not looked inside the door on one but I would wager there has been some redesign of the runners and regulator mechanism to accommodate the angle change. Due to the size of the Coach the angle change is not apparent in pictures.

Posting "Larger more vertical windows" is correct its just how you apply it. The windshield is larger (wider at the top and higher),and the door is higher by moving the top outward above the belt line thus changing the height by lessening the angle (strait up is higher) but not changing the glass the cheaper way out for the builder. I have not looked inside the door on one but I would wager there has been some redesign of the runners and regulator mechanism to accommodate the angle change. Due to the size of the Coach the angle change is not apparent in pictures.

I agree straight up is more vertical so that explains that, but larger to me means bigger. Im going to have to see one in person sometime, because the angle change is apparent to me in most pictures. And going by what was previously stated, really makes it hard to know what is true when the facts seem to change. No wonder its confusing.
It would be interesting to see how much they had to alter the mechanism to tilt the windows out.

I agree straight up is more vertical so that explains that, but larger to me means bigger. Im going to have to see one in person sometime, because the angle change is apparent to me in most pictures. And going by what was previously stated, really makes it hard to know what is true when the facts seem to change. No wonder its confusing.
It would be interesting to see how much they had to alter the mechanism to tilt the windows out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but I was just looking through more brochures (Superior) and I see the side glass mentioned too in the specifications.
One line says "OEM windshield & side window glass" (then says what models have that.
The next line says "commercial windshield & side window glass" (then says what models have it)
If it was only the windshield that was commercial, why would they say side glass is too? Just to be clear this is for the aerodynamic glass, not the squared off style.
Im not saying you are right or you are wrong anymore, because there is so much contradicting info. Guess until I see one in person and do my own research we will have to agree to disagree for now.
In another area it even stated the standard glass coaches have standard front door glass, but we already know that. I just cannot get past them saying something has commercial glass if it really doesn't.
Just so everyone knows, this added post is not meant to be a continual dig as to who is right or wrong (and I may be and I will admit if I am after I see for myself), its meant from an information standpoint of the contradicting info out there.

Pods

Now that's something I can agree 100% with. If we only knew what those pod things are, that's a mystery.

Question was asked when it was for sale on ebay .

Q: What are those round things sticking out of the top at the rear. Ive seen thousands of coaches, and never seen this before. Beautiful car! May-14-15
A: Thats what I asked when i saw the first one with those nipples!! And Ive sold "HUNDREDS" of these hearses over the past 29 years.. Those are the "ORIGINAL" back up sonar detectors..... Sorry, i had to laugh!! Actually I "BELIEVE that they were installed to "STOP" the rear door from swinging to far into the body and top and causing damage because the door actually taps those bumps/nipples if opened too fast or hard.. I know, i was at a loss for words when I first saw it too. The mortuary that I got the hearse from had no idea that they were not a stock part of the car.. When the Hearse was repainted, they did an excellent job of color matching them to the top. I think the right one was installed to balance out the look of the hearse.. If they were removed, it would leave a indention in the top soo, I just left them on... If I can answer anything else, please feel free.. Ronnie. Long Beach CA, USA

Question was asked when it was for sale on ebay .

Q: What are those round things sticking out of the top at the rear. Ive seen thousands of coaches, and never seen this before. Beautiful car! May-14-15
A: Thats what I asked when i saw the first one with those nipples!! And Ive sold "HUNDREDS" of these hearses over the past 29 years.. Those are the "ORIGINAL" back up sonar detectors..... Sorry, i had to laugh!! Actually I "BELIEVE that they were installed to "STOP" the rear door from swinging to far into the body and top and causing damage because the door actually taps those bumps/nipples if opened too fast or hard.. I know, i was at a loss for words when I first saw it too. The mortuary that I got the hearse from had no idea that they were not a stock part of the car.. When the Hearse was repainted, they did an excellent job of color matching them to the top. I think the right one was installed to balance out the look of the hearse.. If they were removed, it would leave a indention in the top soo, I just left them on... If I can answer anything else, please feel free.. Ronnie. Long Beach CA, USA

Yeah, that's the answer I got when I asked too. Somehow I don't buy that one. No other one needed a door stop like that, and I sure do not believe the back up sensor. I would be pulling the rear interior out to see whats behind them.

Back