My EX 70 Suburban acquired by LAFD Museum

Kevin Lynch

PCS Member
Calling Jon VanDermark: I was contacted by the LAFD museum several months ago asking me where my ex-1970 Chevy Suburban ambulance was. I referred them to Commander VanDermark. Today they informed me that they have acquired it for their musuem, to be used in a their "Emergency!" TV show display. Jon- what can you tell us???? This is my 2nd rig to end up in fame in California. (my ex 74 Criterion is owned by AJ Heightman, publisher of JEMS).

:cheers:

Attachments

• shell burb.jpg
    shell burb.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 671
  • Sta 21.jpg
    Sta 21.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 598
I first saw that car at Carlisle, when the man that purchased it, told me that he was going to strip off the doors for a restoration project, and then sell the hulk with his rusted doors. I wasn't interested, since the engine was sitting in the rear of the car, and it looked like a forever project. You did resurrect it, and it is beautiful. Good to know that it has finally found a permanent home...

Weeeeellllllllllll....I wasn't going to say anything until the deal was done! :badbad: But yes, I worked out an arrangement with the museum. The Suburban should arrive there this week. It will be painted to match the rigs seen on the TV show EMERGENCY! and will be displayed with Squad and Engine 51.

I now have a hole in my garage that needs filling... :D

By the way, those of you who attended the 2007 International Meet will recall that there are two museums locally, both of which we toured. The LAFD museum does not have Engine & Squad 51, the County of Los Angeles Fire Museum does. These museums represent two VERY different agencies.

At the museum shop awaiting makeover...

ambulanceatmuseum2.jpg

Great, Jon. And next to it is the recreated/restored LACoFD squad that was owned by the late Jim Page.

they could have come got my stoner. at least that would have been the right model
Yep. And I also recall that there's a Stoner even closer, owned by Mr. Farah. I'm surprised he didn't donate his. :yum:

Back