normal old stuff

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
here are some of the things to expect when getting that old car that has sat around for some time. now the man I got this car from was able to rescue it from the land of despair. but with a number of cars to keep going this one had to what it's turn. I look the car over last year and when it was decided to let it go for other ventures I jumped at the chance to get it. of course it came with strings. if I get tired of it it has to go back home.

so we have been looking things over will before starting on a plan of attack. get it runnign right first then do the body. has always been my motto. but as your doing so gather the pieces you need when you can so thanks Ken got them today. we are getting the carburetor gone threw and while it's off lets get the hoses/belts changed, things cleaned up rerouted and painted.

now this thing has got to go but a word of advice if you putting on one don't get it to close the the manifold.

then what do you think some hoses are hard some are soft.

two of the belts were OK one was not. one would guess that they have put on a new water pump.
the engine is two colors of blue.
the kick down for the transmission has the trip melted off kind of normal for this set.

but at this point all we have is a big mess

Attachments

• IMG_0736.jpg
    IMG_0736.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_0737.jpg
    IMG_0737.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 842
  • IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 827
  • IMG_0739.jpg
    IMG_0739.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 863
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 862
  • IMG_0742.jpg
    IMG_0742.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 864
  • IMG_0741.jpg
    IMG_0741.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 863
here are some of the things to expect when getting that old car that has sat around for some time. now the man I got this car from was able to rescue it from the land of despair. but with a number of cars to keep going this one had to what it's turn. I look the car over last year and when it was decided to let it go for other ventures I jumped at the chance to get it. of course it came with strings. if I get tired of it it has to go back home.

I want to make sure that what I am reading, and what you are writing, are the same thing. When you tire of the car, he gets it back??? If this is the case, I only have one question.. HAVE YOU LOST ALL YOUR MARBLES!!!!:D

marbles what are they?? of course there is a nominal fee here involved. I might be cheap on labor but parts cost. lets just say it's a gentleman's agreement if it goes down the road he gets first refusal.

hay I resent that !!! :eek: lost my marbles there safe in that coffee can, I just can't remember were I put the can.:eek:

but while we are talking about stuff anyone have one of those throttle kick down switches. Eldorado is a two wire the rest of the caddies are a 3.

A bit more about this car...

This Crown replaced a 1964 Superior Crown limousine combination at the Jacobs Funeral Home in St. Charles, MN. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs bought a new Crown every three years. The '67 was replaced with a '70 Crown Sovereign landau combination.

In 1970, the '67 went to the Walby Funeral Chapel in Hettinger, ND where it remained in front line service until 1980 when it was replaced with a black 1976 Miller-Meteor Cadillac 3-way. Mr. Walby sold the '67 off to a private party who used the car for personal transportation, camping, etc. Eventually, it ended up sitting in storage near Kalispell, MT for several years.

We acquired the car in 2012 from a man who did some residence electrical work for the people who owned the Crown. Apparently, they couldn't pay him in cash, so he accepted the Crown as payment. The novelty quickly wore off and that's when we saved the car. The only non-stock thing they did to the Crown was install a stereo by way of setting the control head in the glove compartment and run tons of wire to the large, wood-framed speakers that they set on the floor in the rear compartment. Not one single hole was drilled for any of it, thankfully!

The car arrived here at the Karsnia Coach Ranch literally days before my position as a funeral home business manager was eliminated and I suddenly found myself out of work from a funeral home I'd been with for 15 years. Making lemonade out of lemons, I immediately registered for college, setting out to complete my Bachelor of Science degree with major in Mortuary Science from the University of Minnesota. I had a previous business degree, but needed to take several pre-requisite classes for this major.

Fast forward to October, 2015. I am less than three months from graduation! I have accepted an internship with a local, family-owned funeral home, where I will remain on staff as a director following internship. Thankfully, because Kim has a good job and we had budgeted well, the "mid-career hiatus" did not put us behind the 8-ball. I have enjoyed this time back in school but am looking forward to returning to full time employment in funeral service.

As for the '67 Crown, we had purposely kept it, with the intention of restoring it. That car fits in well with our 1967 Miller-Meteor Paramount combination and our 1973 Superior Crown Sovereign limousine combination. Then came the arrival of another ambulance last summer when we were invited to participate in the acquisition of a collection. It seemed as though any work planned for the '67 Superior Crown was getting placed further and further toward the back burner.

It wasn't until our good friend, Ed Renstrom, replied to Nick Studer's posting of his (Nick's) 1971 Superior Cadillac ambulance being for sale, that we decided to contact Ed to see if he'd be interested in our '67 Crown. Ed indicated that he was not interested in taking on another high-top, but would be interested in a hearse or combination.

We knew that Ed could give the '67 Crown the attention it needed in a much more timely manner than we could at this point, so we made the deal. Not being disinterested in the '67, but wanting to see it in the hands of someone who would give it some immediate TLC, we are appreciative of the gentlemen's agreement, offering first right of refusal to reacquire the car.

During the period of time we owned the car, I was visiting with Tim Hoff, owner of Hoff Funeral Home in St. Charles, MN...the community that was once served by Jacobs Funeral Home. Tim, knowing of our interest in collecting professional cars, asked about the collection and I told him about acquiring a former Jacobs coach. Tim told me that Mr. Jacobs died several years ago, but Mrs. Jacobs still resided at the local nursing home, and would I mind sending him some pictures of the car. I did, and he immediately took them to show Mrs. Jacobs, who remembered the car. She has since died, but Tim was pleased to give her the opportunity to see photos of the old coach.

And now you know the "rest of the story."

thanks for filling in the blanks as they say. final got a few miles of stuck on stuff off of her. the whole engine is painted corp blue but the numbers match so some one has gone threw it at least. there are only two places of rust on the car. one back buy the right rear bumper under the floor in a natural trap and under the battery. so we have the engine clean and all the stuff we took off piled in to toss and salvage. the only hose we will keep is the upper one it's not bad. we spread a little miracle paint on the heavy rust and tomorrow we will get the engine painted and start putting things back together. hope the carb is done. we have back flushed both the heater cores and need to free up the valve for the back heater. we need to get running as I hate a dead horse. don't worry we will swap battery cables now to. the goal is to have the engine bay done before we start on the body. later after we get the 58 together. but as this one was in need to get it reliable we though it best to take a couple days off to do it now before the snow flies and the top is curing on the 58.

Attachments

• IMG_0745.jpg
    IMG_0745.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 747
  • IMG_0746.jpg
    IMG_0746.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 730
  • IMG_0747.jpg
    IMG_0747.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 756
we got a little more done . so far for our efforts the only causality is the fuel pump and the line going to the filter. man this fitting was tight rusted in place i knew I was in trouble when the line wrench rounded off the nut. as it was I put it in the vice and got it to brake free just so it wouldn't win. it was rusty inside anyway
on the plus side we found about 4 major vacuums leaks and we were able to free up the hot water shut off to the rear heater.

we use the expensive brushes we got a Harbor fright to get the rest of the dirt off the block. I think it was 3 bucks for 6 of them

moved everything else off the the side and did a cover up on what we had all ready painted black. then checked the windage on the other cars and made things Caddy blue rather then GM corp blue. we'll wait to get the radiator and belts in till the new fuel pump comes in. we are going to try to get a filter just under the pump were we can change it easily.

mean time we marked the timing mark as it was up. they are vary hard to find on a dirty 429. first then we do when the battery goes back in is bump the engine over and get the bottom side of the pulley and balancer painted.

when we go back to gather we'll replace the clamps and rout the wires were they should be. we are not shooting for a show car look but a clean driver.

Attachments

• IMG_0756.jpg
    IMG_0756.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 662
  • IMG_0757.jpg
    IMG_0757.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 644
  • IMG_0758.jpg
    IMG_0758.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 635
  • IMG_0759.jpg
    IMG_0759.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 637
  • IMG_0760.jpg
    IMG_0760.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 626
  • IMG_0762.jpg
    IMG_0762.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_0763.jpg
    IMG_0763.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 622
  • IMG_0764.jpg
    IMG_0764.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 620
and the last two the valve and the engine with the paper pulled

Attachments

• IMG_0765.jpg
    IMG_0765.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 608
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 593
it did when it left here. ;) but they never stay do they . went up to the big city today and had to go JYS. they have been suffering road construction making access to they place difficult all this summer. my wallet felt it, but we did get a couple of things.

found me a hood the same color. of course he heme and hawed about things going south with the car if he sells the hood off it I'll hit him up latter about swapping. after I practice my painless dent repair some. mine always turns in to dimpled paint repair .

but we did get this junk yard only 67 kick down switch. this is the second one that i have see with the end milted off. I discovered that mine was stuck in the down shift position. thats why the tyranny would not up shift to high till you got up to 80 mph. why anyone though that a plastic part put into a steel part inches away from the cross over was good idea I'll never know. that and the spear for the front fender were the best grabs

Attachments

• IMG_0769 (2).jpg
    IMG_0769 (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0770 (2).jpg
    IMG_0770 (2).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 502
we are getting there at last. just when you think your good out comes one more part you need to paint. this time it was the coil. but we have all the stuff that turns up front back on and as we quit tonight all the stuff that keeps the green gooey stuff inside in place. we'll slip the coil in place tomorrow and hope the carb is done. then it wait for NAPA on the brake.

mean time it looks like all I have is long and short stuff here more short them long if you count the Seville.

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 291
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0786.jpg
    IMG_0786.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0788.jpg
    IMG_0788.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 284
I lost my daily when Ron took the suburban. so thought I would look for another short box PU. found this on a lot in Rapid. waited a week of so. no one else grabbed it up so I did. 96 4x4 Silverado only got 166 grand on it. a little more loaded up then I wanted with power everything. so I'll swap my veterans tags off the 67 and put date of manufacture on it. had to give about 500 over book for it but it was the body style I wanted. they had it cleaned up nicely with a real nice interior for the mileage. looks like they had a camper on it. tie downs in the bed and only a few scratches in there. not a lot of gravel road running. probably the only time it's been off road was my trip down in the canon across the street yesterday. so we'll drive it.

we are done now except for replacing the carb and the brake. got all the wire in holders and hoses routed were the need to be. but as we are waiting for other people on them it time to stop. and put the siren in and see if it works. thanks to Rick f we have a 28 laying around. so lets get it painted and in place. the car is equipped with a horn siren switch, now if things just work. but as luck would have it the key part is suffered a little two much water. replaces it and away we go. now to find the light wire and make sure it's hot. we need to make sure we had power and fix the bad ground for the jewel light. we are going now. I need one of these lights for the 72 can't till if it's off or not with out it. next it mess with the power antenna and see if at least we can get it down.

Attachments

• IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0791.jpg
    IMG_0791.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0802.jpg
    IMG_0802.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 226
  • IMG_0803.jpg
    IMG_0803.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_0770.jpg
    IMG_0770.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 224
it did when it left here. ;) but they never stay do they . went up to the big city today and had to go JYS. they have been suffering road construction making access to they place difficult all this summer. my wallet felt it, but we did get a couple of things.

found me a hood the same color. of course he heme and hawed about things going south with the car if he sells the hood off it I'll hit him up latter about swapping. after I practice my painless dent repair some. mine always turns in to dimpled paint repair .

but we did get this junk yard only 67 kick down switch. this is the second one that i have see with the end milted off. I discovered that mine was stuck in the down shift position. thats why the tyranny would not up shift to high till you got up to 80 mph. why anyone though that a plastic part put into a steel part inches away from the cross over was good idea I'll never know. that and the spear for the front fender were the best grabs

Ed,
Don't waste your time on a hail damaged hood. There have to be many available up your way. Hoods can be had down this way for $100-$125 as seen below with no dents.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 185
time spend in training is never wasted time. how else are you going to learn to do it if you don't practice. but a attractive price, 350 up here.

nice hood molding on that on.

final got the master cylinder in. it took a couple days to get it swapped. I mean it's 2 nuts and 2 lines you don't expect things to happen right now do you. so here is why we spread out a half hr job to do days other then we get paid by the hr now not straight commission.

every one knows that the main portion of the master is cast and it's nice and pretty shinny stuff when you get it and rusty junk in a year. so lets get it painted when it's out of the car. we are going to do this before we purge the system as we don't want to get fluid on it before we paint. we are using the epoxy cast gray from Eastwood. it is the only one I know of that will hold up to brake fluid. as luck would have it we are having a cool high humidity day here and the darn stuff takes for ever to set up. so as long as we had time. we tried to clean up this booster. and ended up with shinny metal. so we touched it up a bit. put on a new hose and all and got it together today. the before painting and after painting of the casting and the booster. use the gold base the green and red high lights. to tone it down, make it looked aged some a waft of silver. then the clear coat to tie it all together. here is a no and flash picture of it freash painted and one the next day

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0854.jpg
    IMG_0854.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0862.jpg
    IMG_0862.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
then so random stuff. i ordered a set of belts and the ps,fan and crank are the number shown here. I ordered a pair and got one. vary strange so we contacted them and received a pair again all the same number. all three belts were stamped withe same number on the belt as the cardboard but they were two different sizes. lucky we got two smalls ones as that was what we needed. then the 28 snuggled in place we can make noise and flash lights and stop we just can't go right now. then this pile of stuff came out from the right bumper end . some of these rust flakes are a good 1/4 inch thick. we shuffled stuff again today so we could get the 72 cleaned up for the EMS conference this weekend. I got my arm twisted into bring up one of the cars to put on display. it's in Spearfish so we'll stay with my sister and let the 72 wow them. as in wow how did they do CR in that. you have to remember in 1972 the American Hart had not as yet approved cpr as a viable method.

Attachments

• IMG_0860.jpg
    IMG_0860.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_0861.jpg
    IMG_0861.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0865.jpg
    IMG_0865.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0866.jpg
    IMG_0866.jpg