Free to a Good Home

Ken I renewed mine last year and was shocked to get it back in two days,but then again I am such an outstanding citizen they were delighted to help me..you don't buy that either, I put it up to sheer luck.usually 7-10 days.

Ken I renewed mine last year and was shocked to get it back in two days,but then again I am such an outstanding citizen they were delighted to help me..you don't buy that either, I put it up to sheer luck.usually 7-10 days.

If yo look closely, you will see that it is a one way passport. They will let you out, but they won't let you back in....:D

If you guys decide to go, let me know. I live near where the ambulance is stored and i would like to be there.:thumbsup: Also I have tools and an oxy acetylene torch which i could bring. That would help if you are thinking of taking off the bumper

Ken

I will shoot for Monday next week. (Tuesday or Wednesday are also possible)

I will be in touch again in a couple days.

Thanks,
Darren

Im almost 400 miles north to any US border, I rarely leave my country due to my job. last time i did I went to the Albany meet and got a quick conversation qith some members (you too Paul !) so that means 5 years. I remember Rick Duffy saying "dont wait the next international meet to come!".. well, it's time to kick my butt and renew my passport? :D

I guess not in time for next week eh ?

I remember speaking with you outside the fire museum before you getting called back to Quebec ending your meet early.

Make sure you plan on spending the whole week at the 40th PCS anniversary meet in PA this summer !!!

Darren

Next week I will only be availiable on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. I will be happy to coordinate a day or so that works for all interested.

What a perfect day !

The weather was just right for a drive and seeing friends. Sunny and warm as a nice fall day being the end of November. It could have been a cold windy snow storm this time of year here.

Saving some useful parts from going to the scrap yard was a bonus too.

Seeing the remains of a one time glorious 1966 Superior Cadillac hightop Ambulance was somewhat sad. Getting a bunch of usable parts off it before being towed away was incredible.

I never needed any of the parts myself but I couldn't stand to see them just be dis-guarded. I had to make a effort to save those hard to come by parts available for someone in the future looking for them.

Free to a good home !!! Amazing to know a free offer was open to anyone who wanted it. That's what this club is about. Helping others when you can.

After a trouble, traffic and boarder free drive I showed up at the address given to me. I was in awe of the huge property that was beach front on the south side of Lake Ontario. Talk about a fantastic view. Wow. Incredible place with a big garage too.

In the garage was a restored 1964 Ambulance that has had a extensive restoration. Something to be proud owning after seeing the photos of the work that was done on the car.

Then in pulls a big red and white ambulance with a guy who had a smile on his face. Out jumps Denny Shira from the next town over.
He was like Superman ! After putting on his hat he was ready for anything that needed to be done.

He had it all... tools, torches, experience, great attitude and even cardboard to lay on ! He was ready and willing to get down and dirty.

Rusty bolts were not a issue at all with a cutting torch. He had the bumper off in 15 minutes. That is what I really wanted, was the bumper, as a friend here could have used that.

Well after asking what was being done with the parts in the back and the parts still on the car, that answer was going to the scrap yard.
I couldn't just stand there and let them go so I had to start putting them in a pile to save from the wreckers.

I have to say I learned a lot about how the cars were put together by taking parts off. I had never taken out side glass panels before. Digging in and just going for it soon had the rear side door and rear quarter glass out. If not they would have gone with the car that day to the wreckers.

Denny and I did what we could to save as many parts as we could.
Some stuff may never be actually put on a ambulance again but it will be hung as "garage art" for now.

I am hoping at some point I will be able to say, Here is the piece you are missing to a current or future PCS member who is restoring a car.

Scrap is quite low these days so the parts would have been sold with the car for almost no money as the whole car these days only fetch about 150.00 vs three times that a few years ago.

I was able to give that as well and double the days scrap valve to help out what I could.

I was happy that none of the rims were commercial chassis rims and that we took as much as we could before the car was picked up and taken away. There were some parts that got missed but we did what we could with the time we had.

After having lunch with Ken and Denny, it was time to make the drive home. I was sad to leave and sad to see the remains of the car leave but I am thrilled to have gotten the opportunity to help out with the needs in the future with these parts.

Listening to all the trim parts jingling around in the back of my van for a couple hours wasn't really music to my ears but I am certainly glad I made the trip. I never expected to bring home that many parts either but it would have been a shame to have seen them all go to the scrap yard.

Ken and Denny sure are great guys ! Both have been in the industry for many years and both own amazing old ambulances. I have never owned a ambulance but it is in the cards at some point I hope.

On the drive home I called Fort Erie PCS member, Joe who worked with Ken starting at age 15, to see if he could meet me for dinner and it worked out. We met at a restaurant and had a turkey dinner on the eve of the US thanksgiving. I was thrilled to see Joe and to have filled the evening having dinner with another great PCS guy.

The drive home was great and I have to say it was one outstanding day.

Thanks again to Ken, Denny and Joe for being awesome people and being apart of the PCS.

Too bad every day wasn't as fantastic as yesterday was.

:applause:

Darren

the best way to learn is to take one apart. be sue to label them year and position. it;s funny how a y2ar or 10 latter how fuzzy one gets. a felt pen works good and is easy to clean off

Back