1970 caddy front bench seat

John Zicha

PCS Member / EMT / PARAMEDIC
Does anyone happen to know how much material (square yard etc.) might be needed to completely redo a front bench seat? Ours is a solid bottom with 50/50 slit back and NO armrest. I someone who works for a company that wants to donate the required material needed.
1970 Cadillac Commerical Chassis

Aside from the seat, you will need material to cover the backs of the seat backs. I am only guessing, but my guess would be at least 8 yards, especially, if they have to make the piping out of the seat material. I would take a picture of the seat, and take that picture and some measurements to the auto upholstery shop that is going to be doing the work. You really need to co-ordinate with the upholster, since he is going to be doing the difficult part of the job. Also, matching color and grain of the material is important, if you want it to look right. Material weigh is also another thing to consider. Is this person going to be donating the material that he/she will be buying or are they going to pay the upholster for the material. Many auto upholstery shops resist using the customer supplied material, because if a problem arises, then so does the question of "is it the material or the labor"? Material, padding, and labor for a full front seat about 8 years ago, cost me $600, and it was money well spent. The color was dead on with the door panels, and only the grain was slightly off, but the original grain wasn't available. If your seat is like the seat in my 1969 Miller Meteor, it has a lot of embossing. I wouldn't want a replacement seat that didn't look correct, because the embossing was not replicated in the new material. Whenever possible, try to repair the damage and not replace the entire seat, unless you have an original replacement available.

Back