Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > General Discussion Forum

Notices

General Discussion Forum For the general discussion of Professional Cars.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Website Member

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good news, i just bought a beat up original shop manual on ebay for $15. Been wanting one for awhile
John ED Renstrom (05-23-2018), Peter Grave (05-23-2018)
Old 05-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Website Member

I took it to Pinnacle Perfomance in Owasso this morning (only place in town that actually does alot of work on classics). They took a few minutes and gave it a look. Told me the drivers side mount is broken, and the passenger side is loose. I asked him if theres any danger driving it with a broken mount. He told me there was no danger at all and they have safety straps in place to keep the engine from moving too much.

He quoted me $350 total to replace both mounts if I do it later on. Sounds reasonable to me. And is he correct about the safety straps and it not being a danger to drive like that? I want to make sure I get my facts checked
Old 05-25-2018, 11:03 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,659 Times in 3,814 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

He is correct, and honest also for not using scare tactics. It is a difficult job to do unless you have a lift and some experience. There isn't much room to get wrenches in there, and you need the experience to do the job. Given that todays labor rates are almost universally in the $75-$100 per hour, I would say that he is in the ball park. Also have him check the upper control arm bushings, since they have a tendency to fail often. Might as well consider having the entire front suspension checked while it is there. Only time that I would not suggest replacing anything that is even close to being worn out, is if you were going to be selling the car. On my cars, I replace parts that show even slight wear for safety reasons.
Old 05-25-2018, 11:30 AM
Website Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Steinberg View Post
He is correct, and honest also for not using scare tactics. It is a difficult job to do unless you have a lift and some experience. There isn't much room to get wrenches in there, and you need the experience to do the job. Given that todays labor rates are almost universally in the $75-$100 per hour, I would say that he is in the ball park. Also have him check the upper control arm bushings, since they have a tendency to fail often. Might as well consider having the entire front suspension checked while it is there. Only time that I would not suggest replacing anything that is even close to being worn out, is if you were going to be selling the car. On my cars, I replace parts that show even slight wear for safety reasons.
I knew I forgot something! I was going to ask about a front-end inspection. Was worried about getting to work and forgot. I will have to call them back and inquire. I definitely want to get that done.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:51 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,072 Posts

Best thing with broken motor mounts is no jackrabbit starts even without safety straps it can be driven so long as no quick starts where the torque will make the motor lift up on the drivers side. And yes at todays labor rates $350.00 is not bad.
Old 05-25-2018, 09:14 PM
PCS Member - Elected Director 2017-2020

Thanked 14,362 Times in 6,064 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

Just watch those sudden left turns. I had one of the lift on me in a left turn and pull the throttle open. Of course it was old enough not to have the interlocking plates.
Old 05-25-2018, 10:48 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,072 Posts

OH yes we had some interesting times in the days of the 440 Blues Mobile Mopars they were always breaking the left mount, would jam throttle wide open sometimes or fan would chop a hole in the radiator and sometimes left exhaust manifold would break.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:07 AM
Website Member

Well my 4 year old son doesnt quite like going on rides with me since its so hot (cant say I blame him). I myself couldnt justify doing more than driving to the park down the street. So I am now considering fixing the air conditioning which I previously wasnt planning on fixing.

Of course if I do this I will need to find a new fuel filter with a return line, and im also considering buying some thermal heat shield wrap to put on the fuel lines for good measure.

I changed the fuse for the blower motor over the weekend and plugged the
AC relay back in. Still not working, however with careful listening I could tell that switching the AC on DID result in an activation "click" in the engine bay, so that part is working at least. I need to check that blower motor and see if theres something going on there. Theres a pretty big plastic enclosure by the passenger fender, im assuming this is it. Looks like it will be a challenge to get all the bolts out. But I will take a closer look here soon.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:08 AM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,173 Times in 2,404 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Use your vent windows! They make a huge difference just having that air movement. I wish that we still had them today!

We have already had some extreme heat here in the Midwest this past week. I believe that we set at least 3 high temp records this past week.
1996 S&S 6-Door
The Following User Says Thank You to Kurt Arends For This Useful Post:
Larry Sears (05-30-2018)
Old 05-29-2018, 11:40 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,659 Times in 3,814 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

If the system is low on Freon, it might not cycle on. The HVAC systems used on the Cadillac are extremely complex, and require a very knowledgeable person to work on the system to getting it working. Not a job that the average mechanic is going to be able to complete satisfactorily.