1970 Cadillac Royale

Mike Owens

PCS Member
picture.php

Planning a full restoration for "Bessie" over the winter and back to original paint color of Dakota Red. I would like to brighten her up some. What would you think of getting a matching 175 Beacon Ray and mount the pair on the corners of the roof, and put a Federal C6 dual tone where the Beacon Ray is sitting now? I have the 1970 Superior model literature and no where do they show a model with the raised elevation that the Beacon Ray is sitting on in the photo. Can the electrical system handle the add-ons? How do I know if it is a 12 or 6 volt system? As always, I value the input of the PCS gurus!

The electrical system can handle just about anything that you can put on it as far as lighting, within reason. The system is a 12 volt negative ground system. You could put a C6 siren in place of the beacon that is presently on the roof, but it would require that you either reinforce the "box" that is presently up there, or remove it and put the roof back to its original sloped configuration. Also check to see if there is a steel reinforcement under the fiberglass roof panel. If it doesn't have the steel reinforcement already installed, you will need to add one, if you want to mount any mechanical siren to that roof. Roof mounted sirens were optional, and in most cases, the reinforcement was installed at the factory during the manufacturing process.
If you need a C6 siren, please let me know. I have a fully restored C6BR (BR = brake and real light)

What would you think of getting a matching 175 Beacon Ray and mount the pair on the corners of the roof, and put a Federal C6 dual tone where the Beacon Ray is sitting now?

The C6 is not a double tone; if you want one, you'll need a 76L (flashing front light) or a 78 (Solar Ray light in front). The difficult part will be to find a Superior mounting bracket for one of these sirens, which was used on all of their '65-'70 models.

So you folks are suggesting the "pedestal" was not original to the car, but an add on later? Seems like a lot of work just to elevate a Beacon Ray. Do you like the "look" concept with the 2 roof top Beacon Rays and a C6 or something like that where the BR is sitting now?

So you folks are suggesting the "pedestal" was not original to the car, but an add on later?

That "pedestal" was not put there by Superior, was it??

Mike,

There's no suggestion here:

NO - and I can't wait to see the current owner get rid of it.

I can only assume that the previous owner moved the beacon from the roof to the cab in order to fit in a garage. I have no idea why he/she would've cobbled up this abomination instead of finding an uncut standard (or H) skirt and cutting it to fit, as seen here:

http://www.professionalcarsociety.org/forums/showpost.php?p=111525&postcount=198

Last edited:
Steve; In an earlier post when I asked what made it a Royale, a PCS member replied it was the small curved back windows on either side of the rear loading door. Not true?

Hearses and combinations as well as lowtop ambulances were available with either Royale or Sovereign styling, but not the hightops.

as far as the lay out of the lights. it your preference. to me to many were were a detraction from the car. a lot of cars were set up with 4 corner and one center rotating. if I recall correctly it was required in Il. about this time to to have 5 roof lights. most opted for the 4 jr. and the larger center light. twins beacons were common top front corners. so it's all user preference but one thing you might do is check your locale laws at the pertained to the year of your car. find out what was the minimum required and start from there.

me I like the look of the tunnel lights ,side lights, grill light and single top beacon. having the 888 light or propeller rays in the front corners is nice. use a cross pattern on the front lights. but to be honest with you I never got the urge to change out existing lights just for that. I always felt the money was better spend in moving the car to a correct status and repairing what some other fool did then what lights were on it.

I agree with Steve that the light was probably moved down from the roof to above the windshield to fit into a garage.

I have to remove the beacon from the roof of my 48" M-M to fit through the garage door. I have it on a de-mount bracket to make it easier. Luckily the Q siren clears by an inch.

Here are a couple of poor quality photos of a 1969 Superior with two beacons on the roof and a Q above the windshield. There is a substantial reinforcement under the Q siren to handle the torque. Without it, the siren would tear up the fiberglass roof. The beacons were just mounted with the standard bolts with toggles on the underside of the fiberglass.

Attachments

• Kost2.jpg
    Kost2.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 141
  • Kost1.jpg
    Kost1.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 134
1970 Superior Rescuer

After some more investigation, previous owner/s moved the 175 beacon ray to the added platform above the windshield because there is a base of the radio antenna where the 175 originally sat on top of the roof. I like playing detective...

If memory serves our superior Pontiac ambulances had two interior ceiling zippers one for the light and a second for a aerial,not sure if this was common,but anyway that light and platform detract from what is a very sharp looking unit.

Here are a few Superior variants that I have handy. I figured I would post them to help you get ideas for you restoration. By the way, I also say the platform needs to go!

This and other cars from the same seller

I noticed over time that the beacons on Brian's cars had the beacon mounted on the lower level...and it seemed it was all so they could fit in a regular height garage.

Bruce's first collection of pictures....

The bottom photo in Bruce's first collection was owned (when taken) by Tony Karsnia. Tony is that you in the blue shirt? This was Tony's sailer driver when he was in high school (really). I owned this car eventually. I put a Federal "hill" light on it with a real high skirt. It is now owned by Midwood Ambulance in Brooklyn, NY.

Back