Exhaust System Question

The next step is to redo the exhaust. My mechanic suggests replacing it all from the just after the manifold to the tail pipes. A few people have suggested that I use a 2" dual exhaust. Currently, the vehicle has a 1 1/2" dual exhaust.....Any advise here?

Thank you all again.

will it depends your going drag racing or just a occasional trip around the block?
will the bigger pipe present problems with all the bends and going thru the frame? what the difference in price? all things to weigh in. but inch and hafle doubles to 3 in should be more then enough for a stock car. it's kind of a standard to chop it off at the bend just under the headers and go new back from there. everyone is afraid of the rust bolts on the manifold. you want it changed all the way, you take them off and they will do it.

The best way to do the exhaust system would be from the manifolds rearward, and to put a cross over pipe into the system before it enters the mufflers. I don't see anything wrong with going with a 2 inch system, and it will help the engine to breath a little bit better. I wouldn't go with anything larger than the 2" system, since you need to have a small amount of back pressure. I would also have the pipes exit just behind the rear wheels, so you don't pick up any exhaust fumes in the patient compartment. I found this to be a problem with my 1963 Chrysler, and have advised Nick that he should have this corrected before he puts anyone in the rear. After my experience of driving home from Flint in 2009, and becoming drowsy, and not knowing why, I believe that it would be wise and prudent to have a carbon monoxide detector in the rear of all our professional cars, with the exception of a flower car. You can never be too safe.

Back