1975 cadillac superior hightop Coldwater, MS

I can't. It appears to be a standard domestic car that was built for and sold through an exporter. It was destined for somewhere in the middle east, if I remember correctly.

Decatur Ambulance Service (Decatur, IL) eventually bought the car from either the shipper or exporter, painted it, and placed it in service. The only warning devices on it were the standard six flashers, so D.A.S. added the older #174-D, PA-20, CP-25s, and Fireballs as well as the ditch lights.

Here's a shot I took of Unit 376 in 1984 while in service at their Pana, IL station:

I just received a copy of the ORIGINAL Illinois title from Chris in the mail today. This car was titled for the first time on December 2nd, of 1976 by Decatur Ambulance Service. It is identified as "New" on the title. That would have been well into the 1977 model year!! This car's history fascinates me!

You realize, of course, that Decatur Ambulance's current owner, Dave Burkham, is a PCS member. His father owned the service back in the day.

Nice guy, probably just a phone call away...

Yes, Chris had told me that Dave is a current member. I am planning on calling him to document as much history on the car as I can get.

ok kurt thats it, you cant buy anymore cars. i talked to the ambulance police and they agree you need to save your money for a hearse. if this was the old west you would be the fastest gun (phone) in town. cant stand to be teased anymore so please nobody let kurt know when you are selling. just call me first. hate to send marshall dillon your way.:thumbsup::)

ok kurt thats it, you cant buy anymore cars. i talked to the ambulance police and they agree you need to save your money for a hearse. if this was the old west you would be the fastest gun (phone) in town. cant stand to be teased anymore so please nobody let kurt know when you are selling. just call me first. hate to send marshall dillon your way.:thumbsup::)

But........ I already have a hearse. My '75 S&S Victoria 3-way. I hadn't owned an ambulance since selling my '56 Meteor(the one that has made the rounds) back in the early/mid 1990s. I have been looking for a good deal on a '71 thru '76 Superior or S&S ambulance and those good deals don't surface very often these days. You have to be able to act quickly become available. Chris was fantastic to deal with and very accommodating!

Finally Home!!

The '75 Superior 54" FINALLY arrived last night. It had been sitting in a transport lot in St. Louis for at least a month and a half. I guess that's the service that you get when you take the cheapest option!

Attachments

• IMG_20130829_192526_327.jpg
    IMG_20130829_192526_327.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20130829_192553_631.jpg
    IMG_20130829_192553_631.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 231
Parts

I've got lots of interior window trim moldings and the frame for the front roof sign and other spare parts if you need anything.

Ambulance Fever

Kurt, did you catch the bug when you went to look at the Fat Gurl for me?

Actually bought the '75 54" from Chris Elzie back in May. It has just taken a while to get it home as I didn't want to pay big bucks to get a low buck car home!

I have been able to confirm through documents that came with the car and through David Burkham of Decatur Ambulance Service(owner of the car from new until last Winter) that the car was originally ordered by General Motors for the government of Uganda. It was ordered black with a black top with NO rear A.C.! The ambulance sat in a warehouse on the GM export dock in New York awaiting payment from the Uganda government. Payment never came and the ambulance was then subsequently released for sale. Palmer Coach of Bloomington, IL was aware of the car and a deal was made with Decatur Ambulance Service. The ambulance was built in June of 1975 and finally sold to Decatur Ambulance Service on November 3rd of 1976...... 1 year and 5 months after it was built! This makes it the last full-sized Cadillac ambulance to be sold, well after all of the '76 ambulances were already built and in service. Decatur Ambulance service painted it Omaha Orange and white, but all door jambs, fire wall, etc. remain black.

In as much as I cannot bring myself to take it back to 100% black, I have decided that it needs to be re-painted black with a white roof. If anyone has any further information or photos of this car, I would love to hear from you!

Back