Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc.

Go Back   Friends of the Professional Car Society - Official Website of the Professional Car Society, Inc. > Professional Car Discussion > Technical Discussion Forum

Technical Discussion Forum For the discussion of technical questions about Professional Cars and their repair and maintenance. Posting in this forum is limited to PCS Members and / or Site Supporters. We encourage all website users to become members of the Professional Car Society and / or become Site Supporter.

Old 01-18-2016, 08:04 PM

Groans: 0
Groaned at 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Light Housings

As I'm sure some of you may have read I recently acquired a 1970 51" superior ambulance. While on quest of making a list of needed parts I found something that I thought would make for an interesting topic.

Below are pictures of the PAR 46 Light housings along with the ring that attaches to the light housings. In all of my research I have not seen these on any other cars. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone have any that they are willing to part with? I need 3
Attached Images

Old 01-18-2016, 09:28 PM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,488 Times in 3,749 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

California didn't allow a lot of the lighting options, so this was probably a work around for Superior ambulances sold in California. Kind of a rare option, and it is going to be difficult to find parts for those housings. The notches in the aluminum bezels, are for the bulbs locator bumps.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:38 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,040 Times in 2,340 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

Are you in need of the ring/rings in the photo, or are you needing the chrome-plated bulb retainer rings that hold the bulbs to your ring in the photo??
Old 01-18-2016, 09:40 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,209 Times in 5,978 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

then a standard split ring will over the bulb and catch the first ring in the housing. aren't the rings still available from unity
Old 01-18-2016, 09:54 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 5,040 Times in 2,340 Posts
Groans: 7
Groaned at 1 Time in 1 Post

............... if it is the retainer ring that he is looking for! If it is the aluminum ring in the photo that the bulb sits in to, that might be a tall order! I do happen to know of a '70 54" ambulance with these same tunnel lights. It is not a parts car, however. I don't think they are all that rare.

Last edited by Kurt Arends; 01-18-2016 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:09 PM
PCS Member

Thanked 2,084 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Arends View Post
............... if it is the retainer ring that he is looking for! If it is the aluminum ring in the photo that the bulb sits in to, that might be a tall order! I do happen to know of a '70 54" ambulance with these same tunnel lights. It is not a parts car, however. I don't think they are all that rare.
Kurt,
Not wanting to speak for John,but it IS the actual aluminum ring as pictured that he needs......I started looking for those 3 rings when I first aquired the ambulance(almost 3 years ago) without any luck .....

1970 Superior Cadillac 54" Super Rescuer
1972 Superior Cadillac Model 626
The Following User Says Thank You to James Fischer For This Useful Post:
Kurt Arends (01-18-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 12:01 AM
PCS Past President / Senior Website Administrator

Thanked 11,488 Times in 3,749 Posts
Groaned at 9 Times in 9 Posts

I know that Kevin O'Connell uses an aluminum casting foundry that is located in California. Possibly he can have them casted for you, however, they will need to be filed, sanded, and polished to look like the original. They make rough castings only. It will be up to you to finish them. You can contact Kevin through the forums.
Old 01-19-2016, 01:23 AM

Paul

I contacted a machine shop near my business they said they could C&C them for me.

My main question was why we don't see too many of these housing with these ring.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:51 PM
PCS Elected Director 2016 - 2018

Thanked 14,209 Times in 5,978 Posts
Groans: 2
Groaned at 3 Times in 3 Posts

they would not be a aluminum ring. the would be a split stainless steel ring with the cross way screw on the bottom. the housings were cast for a par36 light like a aircraft landing light only red, but man have just been a high beam red light. the bulb would have pins not screw terminals on it. it's locked in place so that no one can rotate it and it's aimed correctly. flashing red on the right steady red on the left. flashing amblers in the rear. this would meet calf. lighting requirements for Emergency lighting. remember the steady red had to shine down the road the required number of feet. 300 I believe.

these rings were made in a number of styles from flat band to 1/4 rounds your best source for them is the farm tractor crowd. they used them in work/field light and brake lights. I'm betting yours are a flat band with both side rolled one to catch the lip on the housing one to catch the flat ring around the bulb like these.
Attached Images

Old 01-19-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John ED Renstrom View Post
they would not be a aluminum ring. the would be a split stainless steel ring with the cross way screw on the bottom. the housings were cast for a par36 light like a aircraft landing light only red, but man have just been a high beam red light. the bulb would have pins not screw terminals on it. it's locked in place so that no one can rotate it and it's aimed correctly. flashing red on the right steady red on the left. flashing amblers in the rear. this would meet calf. lighting requirements for Emergency lighting. remember the steady red had to shine down the road the required number of feet. 300 I believe.

these rings were made in a number of styles from flat band to 1/4 rounds your best source for them is the farm tractor crowd. they used them in work/field light and brake lights. I'm betting yours are a flat band with both side rolled one to catch the lip on the housing one to catch the flat ring around the bulb like these.

Ed its not the Light Retention rings I need, Its the one pictured I need.

Title 13 is where the lighting requirements are for emergency vehicles. it states that every emergency shall be equipped with at least 1 steady burning forward facing red light visible from 1000 feet away.