The S&S Photo Thread

I cant believe they only have one car listed, last I was there they had a warehouse full, we counted over 60 cars in there, many sitting 10+ years.

I've never seen that website before. They obviously don't look at it much either because their new car listing shows a 2003 S&S Victoria with 0 miles!

We should meet down there early one Saturday, John. A truck, tow rope, lots of soap and water, and a camera...we could add some stuff to that website.

I've never seen that website before. They obviously don't look at it much either because their new car listing shows a 2003 S&S Victoria with 0 miles!

We should meet down there early one Saturday, John. A truck, tow rope, lots of soap and water, and a camera...we could add some stuff to that website.

Tony, I offered to do this many times years ago, they had no interest in it at all. I know a few years ago they did pull some out, they have been there so long the wheels were locked up on a few.

1923 S&S - Gill's, Ponca City, OK

A placard on the exterior tells the firm's history. Virtually unchanged over the years (except for the addition of air conditioning), this wonderful old building is full of historic goodies. The last shot was taken through one of the garage door windows.

This Kensington ambulance is in running and driving condition, but is currently not operable due to a shock absorber issue. Once that is resolved, I plan to get her out for a proper photo session.

She is all original except for one repaint. The engine is a Continental in a chassis assembled by S&S. One of her many interesting features is an air compressor, engine driven, with a hose long enough to air up the tires or shocks. This car never had red lights, but the original warning gong is still there. It is operated by pulling back on the tall lever between the gear shift and parking brake.

Gill's - later Gill-Lessert - never did more than 45-50 services per year. Until this firm exited the ambulance business in 1968, there was always a combination and an ambulance in the garage:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 707
  • 102.jpg
    102.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 652
  • 103.jpg
    103.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 681
  • 093.jpg
    093.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 693
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 663
1923 S&S - Part II

The interior is in wonderful condition and is all original including cot, lights, seats, fan, and flower vases. The spare tire is stored in the partition, the entire face portion of which folds down for access. The door in the center of the partition opens to a small medical cabinet. The original window shades, most of which are lying on the floor, have deteriorated with age.

Note the work light, just inside the rear door under the attendant seat. It's attached to a long cord that allows it to be used outside of the car - neat stuff!:

(SL photos)

Attachments

• 090.jpg
    090.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 659
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 644
  • 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 642
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 649
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 650
Sayers and Scovill, Hess & Eisenhardt, or simply Stars & Stripes (being on a Chrysler Town & Country) - thought this was a very cool cross purpose plate. Don't see ampersands used often.

dsc02494sn.jpg

From the Cincinnati News:

A Hess & Eisenhardt high body ambulance is featured in the International Rescue and First Aid Association's goodwill tour of nine European countries. Built especially for this tour, the ambulance is fully equipped with electronic heart monitoring equipment and a cardiac resuscitation system. Will Pederson, left, chairman of the tour committee, and David H. Slayback, second from left, executive secretary of the association, drove the ambulance from the factory on Blue Ash Road to New York for boarding ship. Also pictured are Daniel Hess and Willard Hess of Hess & Eisenhardt, June 1970.

bilde

Hey I belonged to the International Rescue and First Aid Association,went to an international meet in Virginia beach,way back in the early 70's,what an event for a green rookie medic to attend,those were classic.:)

Early post-war S&S limo style 3-way used for the North Hollywood funeral of motion picture comedian Hugh Herbert, dated 3/17/52. Looking on is Hugh's double of 12 years, Johnny Kascier.

Glickman photographer. Image from Los Angeles Examiner Collection.

71456_10151424410828221_1851812378_n.jpg

The car to the rear of the '54 or '55 S&S Victoria is a '56, and I don't think it's a coach. Still a great pic! There was a '56 Victoria in Warsaw Indiana many years ago, belonged to the Bibler Funeral Home. Ended up getting parked underneath a tree by the funeral home for many years, the roof soaked up water, rusted the roof so paper thin you would press it down with your hand.

Back