Real Life Ambulance Scene Pictures

pic10.jpg

Zelly "Daze"

Zelley Ambulance in Flint, MI rolling....

Zelley2.jpg

Wow, I am surprised to see a Zelly Rig on the forum! I worked full-time for Groves & Co. Aug 1977 to March 1978, and worked part-time at Zelly! We were running I Believe - Two 1972 Cadillac Superior Hi-Tops ( I Believe one was Bronze, another I believe a darker color - and Two Low-Top Chevy Suburbans that were white in color) Its' hard to remember details - as I was 19 then and now (Has it been 37 years?) - I think I might have have "Dain Bramage" from 34 years at Houston Fire - with 20 on the Medic Unit!)

This unit looks like a 1970 M & M (Before my time)

I worked Part-Time at Zelley's when I wasn't at Groves & Company on the Lifeliners! I believe this unit was replaced by 1974( I think!) Superior Cadillac s as this appears to be very early 1970's or about there! I remember Two Superiors and at least two Low-Top Chevrolet Suburban units when I was there about Aug 1977-March 1978.

Frontier Ambulance 1959 Pontiac

Frontier Ambulance Standing by at 3rd & Niagara Street with NFFD at a working structure Fire. April 1966.

Attachments

• img045  Frontier Ambulance & NFFD operating @ 3rd & Niagara St. April 1966.jpg
    img045 Frontier Ambulance & NFFD operating @ 3rd & Niagara St. April 1966.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 707
Some might recognize this as the Pacific Coast Highway, and others might just recognize the ambulance. I believe that it was restored by Mike McDonald.

Attachments

• 56 ambulance.jpg
    56 ambulance.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 541
Another track shot at Laguna Seca Raceway - Monterey, CA in October 1963.

laguna102063_4-vi.jpg

Referring to my copy of McCall & McPherson's Classic American Ambulances book, I'll say that is a 1962 Superior-Cadillac Royale Rescuer (?). And if it's livery is white over orange then it is probably from the local A-1 Ambulance Service.

Abe's Book Idea .

If there was enough surviving material, I would love to write a comprehensive book on all the proud old ambulance services of days gone by like Schafer, Snyder, Goodhew, Shepard, etc. It would make for fascinating reading...not to mention full color eye candy!

Abe

I think it would be better if it wasn't for just Southern California , but for the entire state , featuring stories of those that were there and remember historic events like the 1971 Sylmar Earthquake and tunnel explosion , the 1965 Watts Riots , 1992 Rodney King Riot , 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake , Operation Baby Lift in 1975 , and other mass casualty incidents . You may also include bizzare , humorous , and inspirational calls from former California medics .

I am inclined to agree with Derrick,there are hundreds if not thousands of situations up and down the state that would make very interesting reading.

Heck,just in my town we had a F-86 Fighter jet slam into a Farrell's ice creme parlor killing 23 and injuring a lot of others.(Airport was across the street)....that was my first month of being a "ambulance attendant".:eek:

Maybe

Maybe a new forum page could be developed where people could share stories. That way we could all could appreciate them. Who knows maybe a publisher would see it and want to make a book about past times.

Maybe a new forum page could be developed where people could share stories. That way we could all could appreciate them. Who knows maybe a publisher would see it and want to make a book about past times.

Done... Now if you see a story that needs to go into this new forum, please use the "Notify Moderator" icon to let me know to move it. thanks Paul

Peninsula Ambulance

Thanks to Mr. Lichtman for posting the link to the history of Peninsula Ambulance. That crumpled ambulance appears to have been a 42.5-inch headroom, 1961 Miller-Meteor Sentinel. The vehicles lined up in front of the building are (from left to right) a 1961 Flxible-Buick Flxette, a 1956 Ford station wagon, a 1960 Superior-Cadillac Royale Rescuer, a 1961 Superior-Cadillac Royale Rescuer, a 1959 Superior-Cadillac Royale Rescuer and a 1952 National-Ford. I sent the link to Tom McPherson and he reports that: "The 1961 Flxible-Buick is a Flxette Model FB-630-61 that was sold to Peninsula Ambulance Service in Redwood City, California by C. V. Whitehorne & Company of Tarzana, California (Flxible's California dealer). It was Flxible's body number 1182 with motor number 4H-1040523 and was delivered to Peninsula on June 20, 1961." Just thought that this may be of interest to some of you.

I remember them as a kid growing up in Pacifica , California as Mercy-Peninsula Ambulance Service . They often handled calls in town when Bay Area Ambulance Service had no units available and I was not even born yet when the tragic accident happened . Years later , Mercy-Peninsula changed ownership and became Mercy-Life Care Ambulance Service until they went out of business about 20 years ago , if I'm correct . I was also taught in EMT school that an ambulance is not a hot rod and should at all times be driven in a reasonable and prudent manner under all conditions . It is a specially designed automobile or " tool " to transport the sick and injured to an appropriate medical facility equipped to provide definitive care while providing emergency medical care , stabilization , and ongoing assessment of the patient en route . My instructor also told us that if we love our family , the home we live in , and our job as an EMT or paramedic that we all better play by the rules or stand to lose all . Some medics & EMTs have lost all by being at fault for accidents behind the wheel of an ambulance .

I have heard many a story of ambulances traveling at breakneck speeds for great lengths of miles and minutes. The only problem that I have, is that the claims are way beyond the physical limits of the drivetrains of the vehicles that these claims are being made. Example would be of a 1965 Cadillac ambulance doing 110 MPH for 45 minutes from one hospital to another. I am not certain what would have blown up first, the engine, transmission, or one or more of the tires. You need a half dozen or more football fields to stop those pre disk brake cars when they are doing 70 MPH! Even my 1969 MM at 70 MPH is scary at that speed trying to stop it. It weighs close to 4 ton!

Living were you do it's hard to fathom the need for the speed. But trust me they did it with ease. We bought our rubber off the state contract. So had speed rated tires on it. But I have done many a trip in a ambulance in excess of 100 on a two lane road for 40 minutes. Never once had the foot feed on the floor. You pick the places you can do it and understand were its​ not worth the risk. But I do not remember a equipment failure due to speed. I also not remember a full code type run in the city limits. To me that was never worth the risk.

It was 58 miles from our first aid station to the nearest trama center no birds then. The best time I know of was 28 minutes door to door buy the radio transmission to dispatch. There were 2 motor cycle accident pt on board a RN a Dr a respatory tec and 3 EMTs.

So yes the gas engine rigs would do it . The longest run I made in a car amblance was one trip to stay centre were we ran the 72 olds high top about 300 miles on one sreach at 80 on the SD interstate. We were doing 5 mph in excess of the limit then. Now it's the speed limit.

Open road running is a lot different then the crowed conditions on the east coast. But the car has no problem doing it, the driver is the one that sets the limits.

Back