and then she asked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Stevens

PCS Member
My wife has recently heard the term '24 hour car'. So now she wants to know what makes one car a limo and another a 24 hour car. Is it a combination of things or lack of items? I would like to know the definitive answer myself (before telling her).
My dream limo would have the roll down divider window and the flip seat option. But I would settle for a nice 1961 series 75 to match my MM combination coach.
My job limo (2000 Cadillac) has a divider glass and another panel that works as the projection screen for the movie player. It has an intercom, ice chests, and room for 6-8 people in the passenger area. It is not a 6 door. Its a great car just not what I would buy for myself.
So back to my main reason for this ramble, put your heads together and decide who will give me THE one (I hope there is only one) answer as to what is a 24 hour car and what makes it a 24 as opposed to a limo.
Mike

I'm pretty sure this is the answer. There are, more or less, two kinds of limos.

One is the "funeral home" limo, which typically has 6 doors, and three bench seats facing forward. It usually doesn't have a divider. This is meant to be distinguished transportation for a family attending a funeral, but not too gaudy.

The other kind is a "party" or "VIP" limo. This has only 4 doors, with one bench seat facing forward and another facing rearward. This has a divider and usually has a small bar, TV & stereo, and often fancy lighting in the back for the "party" feel.

OK so far? Well, just like we have ambulances and hearses, and then combinations, there is the 24-hour car - the "combo" of the limos.

The 24-hour car can be used as a family car during the day, and a VIP or party car at night (hence the "24-hour" name). When used as a family car, the bench seats face forward, the divider is hidden, and no bar is visible. The center doors open (but the handles are usually hidden). Then, you can flip the center seat, raise the divider, move a cover off the bar, flip open the TV, and turn on the hidden lights, and now you're ready to take the kids to prom, the bride and entourage to the wedding, or the VIP's to the airport - and they don't feel like they're in the funeral home car.

Hope that makes sense. Folks currently working in the limo biz may fill it in better, it's been 10 years since I drove for a limo company.

By the way, the company I drove for didn't have any 24-hour cars. We used VIP limos for funerals, which I thought was a little gaudy, and tough for grandma to climb forward into the rear-facing seat. But what did I know, I was just the chauffeur. I'd run the same car to a funeral in the morning, executive airport runs in the afternoon, and a party at night. As long as last night's barf smell was gone by this morning's funeral pickup, nobody seemed too upset. :eek: Fortunately, we had full-time car cleaning guys...

that's about right. the 24 hr car will have the double cut for the divider. the center set will flit so that they will face each other. now then you can get a regular 6 door with the flip seat. but the divider makes it the 24 hr car. most do have 6 doors a lot of the 24 hr cars the center doors work on the silonide. so they don't have exposed out side handles. the term double cut referees to the lines on the body as the divider takes up about 6 in you will see a small panel just behind the drivers door then the center door. I have a picture of a matched pair of 90's one 24 hr one 6 door. will nice try I had a picture of a matched pair of 90 before the computer crash. so here are a couple 89's

Attachments

• 1989 H&E 24 hr car.jpg
    1989 H&E 24 hr car.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 1989 Collins.JPG
    1989 Collins.JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 258
not lawyers

Thanks for the info on the 24 hour cars and the limos. I thought this might be like asking a bunch of lawyers a question and getting a bunch of answers. All the info coming back seems to run in the same direction here.
Now I can answer the wifes question. You have answered mine.
Thanks for the bit of education.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back