AMBULANCE sign on 70 Superior fixed....

James Fischer

PCS Member
Well after further investigation as to WHY the sign was not coming on........:(

007-2.jpg

Probably the easiest fix on the whole ambulance.....:)

Jim,thanks for posting that picture.Now I guess I know what i'll find when i open mine up.so much for my theory that they all had lights behind them!:eek:

No Problem.....
My other 70 does have lights,and like you I assumed that they all had them.....
The other thing that puzzled me was in the front compartment,when I opened the zippers there was 2 wires(red-green) laying there with what looks to be factory wrapped tape......now I am assuming those were for the lights that would go to the sign.......
Always something to learn about these great cars !!:)

they did not have much of a light in them. you want a soft light use a couple of 12 volt florescent from a camper store. just take the diffuser off the lights when you mount them.

Superior mounted about 6 light sockets on an aluminum rail, and used 1156 bulb standing in a vertical position. The rail was L shaped, and screwed to the back wall of the opening. If I were going to install lights behind the sign, I would use a strip of LED lights that would cover the opening from right to left, after I cleaned and painted the inside white. That will give you the best illumination, and will not cause heat that might damage the sign. The best part of LED's is that they draw very little current for the amount of light that they give.

I added lights.

Check out my Pontiac album. I took the lights from the old Cadillac and installed them in the Pontiac sign. The switch plate was already marked for name sign. Had to do some repairs, but I liked the incandescent glow...

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpg
    IMG_0453.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 428
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 286
the thing I never liked about the strip of bulbs was that you could see each individual bulb when they are light up. MM used a standard florescent behind there sign. I don't have a clue what S&S had in that picture window they had up front but by the time you get the lights up there and the siren. the sign is a what does that say thing.

nice job on the resurrection of that strip and getting a reflector behind it on the poncho. it really helps

My Lifeliner has a mix

My MM Lifeliner has a flourescent bar for the front light and 4 bulb strips for the sides. Of course they could have been changed out over time. Oh the pleasures of pro-cars!

Superior mounted about 6 light sockets on an aluminum rail, and used 1156 bulb standing in a vertical position. The rail was L shaped, and screwed to the back wall of the opening. If I were going to install lights behind the sign, I would use a strip of LED lights that would cover the opening from right to left, after I cleaned and painted the inside white. That will give you the best illumination, and will not cause heat that might damage the sign. The best part of LED's is that they draw very little current for the amount of light that they give.

Paul, you may recall I had LEDs but took them out as I didn't like the white glow, versus the golden glow of the regular bulbs. I did like to low power drain, and the fact that they would probably never burn out, but had to stick with the old...

Back