National Chevy vs Pontiac Upholstery

I've had a lot of help with the interior of my '49 Chevrolet National funeral coach from Tim Prieur, who has provided great photos - thanks Tim. However, I have not been able to figure out if there's a difference between chevy and pontiac upholstery or between the years of National's coachworks. Joe's 51 seems to have different stitching. Does anyone know if the upholstery stitching varies between chevy and pontiac or the years? Or if there's a difference between a ambulance and hearse combination.

In general, Chevrolet and Pontiac used different materials, and sewing techniques. The real question would be, did National use the GM seating, or did they use their own seating materials. I know that the larger body builders such as Miller Meteor, Superior, S & S, etc., just used the springs from GM, and upholstered them in house to reflect the upholstery in the rear of the vehicle. Even Pinner, a smaller body builder, installed their own seating material, door panels, etc., to compliment their vehicles.
Personally, I wouldn't obsess over it being 100% accurate, if you can't find the definitive facts, and I would just go with that which looks period correct and tastefully done.
Usually, an ambulance would have a vinyl seating material, and a hearse would have a fabric. Combination cars, could go either way, depending on the customers wishes.

Paul, I think you are bang on. For the 52 National I would say the front seat is straight off the Pontiac line, the same as any other being produced in the masses. The unique aspect is the material and stitching on the door panels.
I think the seat covering you have chosen is perfect.
For the door panels, if I was doing it I would then go grey with a stitch pattern similar to 1952.
In the end, looking forward to what you finally decide.

if your sedan delivery has a bench seat is not factory. all the sedan deliveries were buckets. the bench in my 53 Armbruster has been built by them.

With all respect to Ed, Jeanne as a National coach, the 52 had a factory bench seat. The vinyl you have chosen looks like an excellent choice. Keep us posted on your progress.

I think if it's a bench seat ,then it's out of the car. as the floor was the same. which would have been a easy swap for natinal. that would also explane the difference in pattern on it.

but not have a daler flier here fot the year and modale I can't say what is factory option. which has nothing to do with National.

then the comparison rule on 50 year old stuff is diffacult also as one never knowes how many things got changed over the cars life time. I do know that the norm was cloth back then and vinyl was a new thing. as all the manufactures braged about doing the rear in it.

Last edited:
Just adding in: the full bench seat was an option offered by National. When the sedan delivery arrived at the National plant it had two bucket seats. The customer could then choose the full bench seat along with other options.

I do not know what material was used for the seats but because another option was "red or blue leatherette trim" and another option was Mohair trim in the rear compartment. This leads me to believe that the seat material could have been cloth, Naugahyde or possibly mohair.
My choice will be brown Naugahyde with red trim

I attached an original spec sheet for a combo car. Just a note: I have the sheets for a combo, straight hearse, delivery car, and short base ambulette, utility and flower car.

For the most part the options are the same for all of the but for a few variations.

The offerings were the same for 49 - 52. Not sure about 53 & 54.

Hope this helps some but probably muddies the waters even more.

Attachments

• Combo.jpg
    Combo.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 176
Interesting how, back then, the Mohair upholstery option was less money than the Federal C-6 or the cot. Today, a real Mohair interior would cost many times more than the cost of either of those options!

The coach had red leatherette though out,and a chevy bench seat. Just wanted to get stitching right on on all panels. After seeing photos of Tim's and Joe's I've got the pattern and after hearing from Paul, I think I'm on the right path.

53 was the last sedan delivery for Pontiac. that list of options is almost identical to the list for the Armbruster. there is a man selling the colaspie cots on e-bay for about the same money as it was in 51. I picked up one for no good reason. as you have been set all the pictures of the only national of that age I have seen I would say your on the right move. just remember to make both sides the same and no one can fault you. you have any pictures of your progress you can share?

Interesting how, back then, the Mohair upholstery option was less money than the Federal C-6 or the cot. Today, a real Mohair interior would cost many times more than the cost of either of those options!
Maybe because the Mos they got the hair from were much more plentiful back then - they are nearly extinct today. :rolleyes:

No?

Are all the Nauga's are extinct today...

IN 1914, NAUGAHYDE WAS INVENTED AT THE U.S. RUBBER PLANT IN NAUGATUCK, CONNECTICUT. IT WAS THE FIRST RUBBER-BASED ARTIFICIAL LEATHER EVER MADE, AND THE FIRST IN A SERIES OF PRODUCT INNOVATIONS FOR U.S. RUBBER.

Maybe because the Mos they got the hair from were much more plentiful back then - they are nearly extinct today. :rolleyes:

No?

Actually, there seems to be more Mos today than ever before! Maybe today's Mos aren't growing their hair as long, resulting in a shortage of Mohair???

Naugas

Just an interesting titbit (found this on-line)
"A marketing campaign of the 1960s and 1970s asserted humorously that Naugahyde was obtained from the skin of an animal called a "Nauga". The claim became an urban myth. The campaign emphasized that, unlike other animals, which must typically be slaughtered to obtain their hides, Naugas can shed their skin without harm to themselves. The Nauga doll, a squat, horned monster with a wide toothy grin, became popular in the 1960s and is still sold today."

Jeanne, I must have misunderstood. Were you looking for the stitching pattern for the rear compartment? I'll get you better shots of mine (unrestored) in a couple of days if you want.

Attachments

• Naugahyde_Advertisement.jpg
    Naugahyde_Advertisement.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 114
Back