Back in the game...Part 2

Steve Loftin

PCS Member
Site Supporter
I recently bought the twin sister to my car from a funeral director in TN; it is on the way to Oklahoma now. You may remember that both of these were purchased new by the Bender F.H. in North Manchester, IN.

I'm not sure if I'll keep it or pass along to another PCS member, but I wanted to protect it from going to eBay or Craigslist and to who knows what fate after that. If I do keep it, my plan is to eventually make both cars identical again. I could then display one as a hearse and the other as an ambulance. That project, of course, will take a bit of time and money.

The interior is just as nice as the first one. The glass, body, and crinkle roof are good, but it will need tires and some mechanical work right away. This car was repainted silver by its second owner; it was a thorough job, but is starting to show some age. Landau panels and a #30 cot are included.

And yes--my wife knows!

Attachments

• 72 1.jpg
    72 1.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 773
  • 72 2.jpg
    72 2.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 743
  • 72 3.jpg
    72 3.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 716
  • 72 4.jpg
    72 4.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 713
  • 72 5.jpg
    72 5.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 711
Last edited:
If I do keep it, my plan is to eventually make both cars identical again. I could then display one as a hearse and the other as an ambulance.

Steve, beautiful car! Your thought of displaying the two together is also excellent and I hope you can find a way to accomplish this.

Wow! What a beautiful rig, Steve. I'm glad it ended up in your hands. Get that garage built, as this is another keeper. I like your idea of a matching set displayed in both configurations. I also think having them both in the same color would be a low priority.

Is it just the photos, or does that beacon skirt need to be re-cut?

Gorgeous coach Steve and another score! Please tell me that you are going to lose the strobes under the front bumper.

Beacon, etc., and so forth...

Is it just the photos, or does that beacon skirt need to be re-cut?

The original 176-D beacon and 28 siren are long gone. The beacon shown is a pre-1968 (small frame) 17-D that will be removed and sold or traded. The aftermarket bumper lights, flashing headlights, and small (burglar alarm?) siren will be removed and disposed of.

I'll soon be in the market for a 174/175/176-D that came from a 1971-up C-B or M-M. I could always buy an uncut skirt and trim it, but I'm not very patient or good with tin snips. If any of you have one of these available, please let me know.

If I keep the car I'll be looking for another set of window inserts. The seller wasn't sure he had all the landau panel attachment hardware, so I'll see what's in the bag when it gets here. The panels themselves were wrapped for transport.

The tires have great tread but are old. In fact, they may be the same ones seen on this car on Page 217 of Merksamer's Professional Cars - Ambulances, Hearses and Flower Cars book.

I looked over the car in April and put around 20 miles on it. I took it to a garage, had them put it up on a lift, and spent some time underneath prior to making an offer. The heat and defroster seem to work okay, but the A/C doesn't. There's always work to be done on a 47 year old car!

Now, to wait for the transport company...

I also think having them both in the same color would be a low priority.

Paint on this car--again, should I keep it--is a low priority. The existing paint is decent or better, but the hood is a little dull and there are a few nicks near the upper front fender trim. Definitely a 20-footer, if you will.

For my own record keeping I'll be calling these cars Olds #1 and #2. I do plan to have #1 repainted white, whether I keep #2 or not.

This car was advertised for sale in TPC a couple of issues back. Thanks to Tim Fantin, a former owner of this car, for confirming it was the twin to mine.

Nice score Steve! An added bonus is being able to diagnose problems when you have the identical car sitting beside it. Hope you decide to keep both of them.

Progress report

The car has been received and is in the shop having some repairs made.

I'll soon be in the market for a 174/175/176-D that came from a 1971-up C-B or M-M. I could always buy an uncut skirt and trim it, but I'm not very patient or good with tin snips. If any of you have one of these available, please let me know.

The tires have great tread but are old. In fact, they may be the same ones seen on this car on Page 217 of Merksamer's Professional Cars - Ambulances, Hearses and Flower Cars book.

A properly cut 176-D has been sourced and received.

The tires are, in fact, the ones seen in that photo. They are Firestone 721s, which makes them 35-40 years old. They will be replaced with Hankook Optimo 235 whitewalls.

Steve I can't get over how stunning this car looks. She could easily pass for being a 1-year old car, I almost wonder if she still has that new car smell!

Back