Speedometer Cable

Can someone inform me just how difficult it is to change the speedometer cable on a 1973 Cadillac. TKS
Just got a new cable in and will attempt to change this myself.

It depends on what you are changing. If you are changing only the cable itself, then it is as easy as disconnecting the speedometer cable housing from the transmission and pulling the old cable out and inserting the new, and then hooking up the cable housing to the transmission again. If you are changing both the cable housing and shaft as a unit, then you have to route the new one exactly the way that the old one was routed, so there are no kinks. If the old cable shaft has broken, then you need to disconnect the cable housing from both ends to get both ends of the shaft out. If you have skinny hands like a 5 year old, you shouldn't have much problem reaching up under the dash and getting the cable released. If you have adult hands, then it might be easier to dismantle the speedometer cluster to get at the back to release the cable. If you have never done this job before, then expect to spend a few hours cursing, and getting you hand and arm scratched. I have done them, but they are never really easy, unless it is a shaft replacement of a complete shaft. Then for the last question....... How do you know it is the cable, and not the speedometer head itself???

first off all put 911 on speed dial. ;) but then it's not two bad a job. you just changing the cable or the cable and housing? underneath the car is easy the hard part is digging the strap or two out of the undercoating. under the dash requires a small skinny hand and the patience of Job. putting the rubber grommet back in the fire wall and getting the threaded collar being the hard part. if your just changing the cable in the housing then take both ends lose pull your broken one out. both pieces, lay them on the ground next to the new one. cut it to size. put you drive end on and slide it back in from the top.
about a hr task or 100 bucks down town. man with no experance should get it done in at least 3 hr and 2 cups of coffee. or 6 hr and 12 beers. then take it to the shop the next day.

That speedometer cable should have a spring clip at the speedometer, depress and pull the cable away from the speedo head.

One fly in the ointment may be IF the vehicle has a cruise control on it.
If it does, you need to unscrew the cables, two different sizes, they only go on one way and make sure that the unit turns freely. If not, it will snap the cable tips which are plastic (nylon?) off. This was a real common problem with the mechanical transducers of that era. If there is a ratio adapter on the cable, also check that for free turning also.

Rebuilt cruise tranducers used to be real common, I could probably locate one fairly easily for you if needed.

You can replace just the inner cable, but if there any signs that the outer cable plastic has been compromised (heat melted, deep cut) replace the cable and case assy.

Still waiting for my pre '75 parts catalog to arrive, some day I'll be some help!

Well I changed the cable last night with no issues. Rather simple actually. Had to remove the lower portion of the dash so I could access the clip on the back of the speedometer. Pull it out follow to the tranny and install the new one. Had a bit of a fright though while under the car attaching the new cable. I look over and see a black snake slithering by. Crap!!! Heart skipped a beat but black snakes are good snakes down here so he kept going and I kept going. :eek:

good snake or?

Most of us know black snakes are in the good category. But to have one supervising a repair while you are under the car would get your attention. At least now you know he is not in the car.
Mike

Black Snake

Well I changed the cable last night with no issues. Rather simple actually. Had to remove the lower portion of the dash so I could access the clip on the back of the speedometer. Pull it out follow to the tranny and install the new one. Had a bit of a fright though while under the car attaching the new cable. I look over and see a black snake slithering by. Crap!!! Heart skipped a beat but black snakes are good snakes down here so he kept going and I kept going. :eek:

Richard are you Sure that wasnt the CABLE You saw Slithering around LOL

Russ

Turns out my cable is actually about a foot longer than the old one. Will this be a concern? It's hooked up and it moves but have not driven it yet.
Thoughts?

only if you wraped it around the drive shaft to take up slack. standard aftermarket trick. as the ends are the same we make it as long as the longest pickup and then sell the same part to everyone. the spedo-meter dosen't care how long the cable and housing are just how fast it turns.

Back