3 ton predicament

Yesterday was "one of those days". This was merely the beginning of a real cluster.

65840_10151362056718221_892110643_n.jpg

Undecided about posting subsequent quagmire captures. How many of you need a hearty chuckle? :eek:

you did not whip out your marlin spike and splice it? are the rest of the pictures out of focuses from laughing

Cable was then spliced Ed, correct. Coach had been dragged to the most level spot available before loading, between a 2-3% downhill grade side to side. 2-3% was much larger than it seemed once cable snapped and it plummeted backwards taking path of least resistance. Narrowly missed falling off ramps

Second attempt sheared the 10,000 winch nearly in half, right off bulkhead.

602878_10151362183133221_579977848_n.jpg

Winch is under free replacement warranty - which didn't help rural location loading with no cell reception.

Not the end of issues either! All one can do is laugh. :D

One thing I like about the winch setup on the flatbed I drive is I have a remote control so I can sit in the car while loading to steer an in the event of winch or cable failure, I can stop the car. Of course, the key is to always be aware of the condition of your cable. Glad it wasnt a real disaster, Atti.

No damage done luckily.

I was steering and coach owner was remotely operating winch. Flat driver front tire folding off the wheel made decisions far faster than muscling corrective measures and there were no brakes.

Since rear tires were on the ground ramps were aligned with front tires so the truck/trailer could s l o w l y pull away, using coach weight as a ballast easing front end back to earth. Easy, right?

Not this time. Uneven ground caught a ramp and knocked it off.

74107_10151362593688221_980306876_n.jpg

With one tire on ramp and the other dangling, we now needed a way to lift all that front end weight which was resting on trailer.

46352_10151362596383221_1132319860_n.jpg

Nothing on hand combined provided enough height. Found a junk wheel in the woods full of water that had frozen solid. It weighed about 140 pounds - perfect! Figured in a little geometry, added 4x4s from truck, and ramp for a makeshift wedge in front of passenger tire. Carefully pulling trailer forward enabled upward weight transfer as anticipated. Once that happened, driver side came down opposite ramp. It shifted a tad but it worked nonetheless.

421598_10151362601893221_1697871833_n.jpg

Wasn't hard to pull S&S backwards now. Back to having all 4 on the ground.

2 years since coach ran. Parked with a freshly rebuilt carb and a full tank of gas. At this point the only way it was going on trailer was under it's own power. Wedged marine battery from trailer into Caddy and proceeded to jump/boost with pull truck. After a decent charge and fixing a stuck choke, engine spun over easily. No pop. Then checked and found no spark. After hours in mid-teen temperatures, we were done.

All in all things could have gone considerably worse. Just have to make another trip for retrieval in the near future.

Take it out of "Park" Attila!! Lol! Just kidding, of course. Glad to hear no one was hurt and the car survived. Wish me luck as I'm moving my '56 Superior Super Rescuer this weekend and my winch is not as stout as the one that you were using!

Back