Rocky has a new coach?????

Well this morning i put a battery and a small gas can under the hood and hit the key and she fired right up. It actually runs pretty good but it definitely has a dead cylinder. and no brakes. On the brakes starting the car i could see the pedal go to the floor and back up with the vacume building up in the funky brake booster set up on it but nothing for stopping power. I drove it around the yard some it shifts nice and rolls really well, made me alittle nervous on getting it back into the garage.

But here is some front shots and motor shot if you guys are not tired of seeing them.

Attachments

• 58 hearse front shots & motor 002.jpg
    58 hearse front shots & motor 002.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 496
  • 58 hearse front shots & motor 003.jpg
    58 hearse front shots & motor 003.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 504
  • 58 hearse front shots & motor 007.jpg
    58 hearse front shots & motor 007.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 490
  • 58 hearse front shots & motor 008.jpg
    58 hearse front shots & motor 008.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 505
Rocky: Congratulations on a terrific car. Several years ago I was given the chance to "take care of"" a car I always wanted, and while we have not had been able to meet I know you have the same passion, and will serve her well .
We all look forward to your future posts.

I purchased the car out of an ad in Hemmings Motor News or Cars & Parts in 1982 or 1983. These are the photos that the previous owner(to me) sent to me(in the mail). It was definitely a different world back then! Those tires are nearing 30 years old and don't have more than 10 miles on them!! I purchased that blem casket from a funeral director/casket distributor in Bricelyn or Kiester, Minnesota at that time as well. I was 20 years old at the time.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 513
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 511
I should also mentioned that I was the one that crushed the gas tank. I was 20 years old and possibly lacked some common sense at the time. I had the car on stands with the fronts possibly on ramps? Anyway, I was on my back on a creaper under the car when I suddenly thought that I noticed the car moving! I got my ass out from under that thing just as it came crashing down! The gas tank was crusher by a jack stand or whatever I was using. Again, I was young and foolish.

Also... note the ambulance step on the back bumper. Again, this is a Classic end-loader. I am assuming that M-M would do anything that you wanted as long as you were paying for it.

It is easy to forget what buying a car was like before the internet. See an ad...make a call...wait for mailed pictures...another call...more mailed pictures, could not afford to fly to look at it, so took a chance.

stepchiled 58

my favorite coach ever is any 58. dad had 58 eureka and was the most beautifull coach i have ever seen period. the drapes were even the nicest i ever saw. landau but had jump seats and i think crinkle top. that would be about 1968 or so. used as a transfer ambulance when needed. lucky man rocky merry christmas.

I purchased the car out of an ad in Hemmings Motor News or Cars & Parts in 1982 or 1983. These are the photos that the previous owner(to me) sent to me(in the mail). It was definitely a different world back then! Those tires are nearing 30 years old and don't have more than 10 miles on them!! I purchased that blem casket from a funeral director/casket distributor in Bricelyn or Kiester, Minnesota at that time as well. I was 20 years old at the time.

Kurt, it is pretty wild at what the last guy did not do with it all the years he owned it. But i can say thanks for him for storing it till i was able to buy it. :D

I was looking at the tires i figured that they were pretty old but like you said they are like new and there is not really much for dry rot to them. Still i would not trust them on a big road trip. Im sure i will switch them over to whide white radial's not really correct. But they do ride so much better. And when im done with the upgrade's i want to drive this girl and put some miles on her.

Thanks for posting those pics that is great to see those!!:applause:

On the gas tank note its funny at how seeing something all the sudden makes some of those memories come right back out. Well at least there is fun story behind it and you did not get hurt.

I think you need to get it running and driving good and trade my 49 S&S for it. You do need a matching pair of S&S coaches, right?...LOL

Another photo of your '58 M-M, Rocky, taken in the early '80s on a farm that we owned at the time outside of Winnebago, MN. I really wish that I had not sold that '56 Meteor combo. That car has changed hands many times since I sold it and it was most recently advertised for an obscene amount of money. That '56 was originally a factory tri-tone identical to the combo featured on the '56 Meteor sales catalog.

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 547
kurt, that last picture is great. Love that pair you had to be on cloud nine lookingout in the garage or yard and seeing both of them there.

Well its the start of the game of spending money i was on the phone and on sites ordering parts up for the 58. As they say "GAME ON" im going to know my ups and fed ex guy well.

Rocky

Now's the time to start a notebook with all you are doing to the car. Include where you got the parts and how much the parts cost.

It will be handy in the future for replacement parts and the cost last time you bought them, etc.

Plus a cool thing for the next owner.

You can write in your restoration notes and time you spend each day doing whatever you did.

Just a suggestion.

GAME ON !!!!!

All the best and have fun building it !

I know you will have a blast driving it !!!
Darren

Rocky

Now's the time to start a notebook with all you are doing to the car. Include where you got the parts and how much the parts cost.

It will be handy in the future for replacement parts and the cost last time you bought them, etc.

Plus a cool thing for the next owner.

You can write in your restoration notes and time you spend each day doing whatever you did.

Just a suggestion.

GAME ON !!!!!

All the best and have fun building it !

I know you will have a blast driving it !!!
Darren

Great idea darren, i usually have a big folder with the reciepts, but i think im going to get a note book just to list it all down as to what i used ect. I was just looking today in doing a disc brake conversion for the front. I think that is going to be the first step on this one.

Well i guess this is the start of the rebuild on my 58. The first of many stops that will be happening from the delivery guys.

What i got today is the brackets from "scarebird" to do a disc brake upgrade to the front end of the 58.

I will post some pics of the install and let everyone know how it goes.

Attachments

• disc brackets& wild child column 001.jpg
    disc brackets& wild child column 001.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 406
just saw this thread,
all I can say is Wow Rocky, awesome buy!!!
i have also always liked the look of a '58, it looks in great shape!! and I will be certain to keep checking back to see what progress you post!!
good luck!!

Dana.

Back