'60-'64 Superior gas door/hinge

I found the gas door in the glove box after acquiring my '60 Crown. The hinge had broken clear in half. A little research later, I realized that Superior used the same door and hinge from '60-'64. Ultimately I acquired a replacement from a '62 Superior - and probably overpaid.

Yesterday in a large junkyard, I stumbled across a vehicle with the same door and hinge, which quickly stopped my brisk pace. Now knowing what Superior sourced this part from, others should too.

File this reference tidbit away. Ready?

'59 Imperial!

dsc08214j.jpg

just about as hard to find as the superior but it's nice to have the options. surprising how there may be aftermarket parts is you know what to ask for.

'60-'64 Superior Gas Door

Yes, the gas door that you show was used on all '57 through '59 Imperials. It is not difficult to find these and I have 2 spares from '59 Imperials that I have parted out. I am also a serious Imperial freek! If anyone needs one, I'll take $25 for a very nice one.
Kurt

I found the gas door in the glove box after acquiring my '60 Crown. The hinge had broken clear in half. A little research later, I realized that Superior used the same door and hinge from '60-'64. Ultimately I acquired a replacement from a '62 Superior - and probably overpaid.

Yesterday in a large junkyard, I stumbled across a vehicle with the same door and hinge, which quickly stopped my brisk pace. Now knowing what Superior sourced this part from, others should too.

File this reference tidbit away. Ready?

'59 Imperial!

dsc08214j.jpg

and here it is one on the back of 63 Superior Royal Rescuer. now don't get your years and car manufactures mixed up!!! superior used this chy flap were MM got theirs is still a mystery. but MM used the same squair one for a lot of years

Attachments

• IMG_9609a gas flaper ring.jpg
    IMG_9609a gas flaper ring.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 211
I was wrong

Gentlemen,
In my previous post, I stated that Superior used the same gas door that Imperials used from 1957 thru 1959. That is NOT correct. I was able to look at the gas door on a 1963 Superior more closely last week. It is definitely NOT the same as the doors used on '57 thru '59 Imperials. They are very similar, but definitely not the same. I have personally owned 3 1959 Imperials. The stainless ring on the Superior door is considerably wider and the lift "fin" is much bigger on the Superiors. If anyone is in need of the correct Superior door, I can get them one.
Kurt

Yes, the gas door that you show was used on all '57 through '59 Imperials. It is not difficult to find these and I have 2 spares from '59 Imperials that I have parted out. I am also a serious Imperial freek! If anyone needs one, I'll take $25 for a very nice one.
Kurt

Back