a wheel is a wheel righ

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
I picked up a set of wheels from Kurt on our way home need the older style rime for the 67. he said all I have are the older ones, they were early 60s. the looked like what I needed same shape and all. but when we went to put the wheel covers on guess what . the rims are about a 1/16 of a inch bigger.the caps would not lock into the lip. it would just fall out.tried it on the newer wheels and it fits, tried it on the spare and it fits. tried a different cove same thing. you got any Ida just how much it takes to search a stainless steel cover 1/16 of a inch. we did go grab the 58 caps I forget to sent home. it locks right on. I think we had better mark that cap to the wheel on down the road some one is going to be scratching there head

Attachments

• IMG_4147.jpg
    IMG_4147.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_4146.jpg
    IMG_4146.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_4150.jpg
    IMG_4150.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4148.jpg
    IMG_4148.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4149.jpg
    IMG_4149.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4151.jpg
    IMG_4151.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 119
It just goes to prove that not all commercial wheels are the same, and that they differed in some way from year to year. The only way to know is to dismount the tire, and check the Kelsey Hayes markings that are stamped into the rim, and find 5 wheels that have that same exact stamping.

Ed,
Those rims that you picked up were marked as to the year of the coach that they came off of. I always mark all of them when I bring them home. I know that one of yours came off of a '63. Not sure if you kept track of that before blasting them.

these on the front were the ones i picked up from you. I had three with the car. I never thought of checking the wheel cover on them. but just a little different in the curl of the rim. I was surprised. we knew they were older then the car.

they will work will till the the right ones come along. we gained enough to get the caps to grip tight it will be a lot easier to move them back then it was out.

just though I would pass this one so people will have a heads up.

Back