i like when things turn out better than anticipated

Bruce Biancalana

PCS Life Member
Last night another ambulance arrived on my door step. A 1973 S&S Medic Mark I. I originally bought the car anticipating a parts car. Well, it is way too nice to part out. In fact I am in love with the color combination. Mechanically, the car is completely rebuilt, IE... engine, trans, drive line, exhaust and brakes. The car runs like a dream. The interior needs some minor detail work but it is very nice. The body is going to present some what of a challenge but what old ambulance doesn't.
Below is a picture of the car taken by I believe, Steve Loftin years ago
1973SS2J.jpg

Unfortunately the car looks like this today I'm am already in the process of arranging the cars renewed future.
1973ss2.jpg

S&S Body #'s

Bruce: It would be interesting (to me) to know the body numbers and production dates to see how close the two 73's were together being built at S&S? It's a shame how fast they deterioate when left unattended outside in the elements! (*) I agree.... the original color scheme is fantastic and very dignified..... especially when almost everything being built in 1973 was Omaha Orange and White! Where was Stacey-Lewis from?.... where they a funeral home or private ambulance service? THX-MM

Steve Loftin told me it was a funeral home in Columbus Junction Iowa. Steve's dad bought it from a dealer in Boise ID in 1989.

Congrats Bruce, this was on e-bay a while ago, if I'm not mistaken I think Steve Lichtman owned this car a while ago.
Correct. My father and I owned it.

...Below is a picture of the car taken by I believe, Steve Loftin years ago...
Yes, Steve Loftin took the photo in Tulsa, while driving it east to bring to us.

Steve Loftin told me it was a funeral home in Columbus Junction Iowa. Steve's dad bought it from a dealer in Boise ID in 1989.
Wrong Steve that time, it was me, and my father who bought it. Yes, Stacy-Lewis was a funeral home out there.

I know, too many Steve L.'s. Can you imagine when we used to live near each other and ride around photographing pro-cars and fire apparatus? We'd confuse the heck out of everyone.

I'm glad Bruce has decided to restore it and not part it out. It was a good car when we owned it, but it's been allowed to deteriorate since then.

What is it with all these guys getting new cars? I feel like I am getting one as mine will finally journey home this week. Then I will have some pics too. But all you high top guys wow! :cheers:

Correct. My father and I owned it.

Yes, Steve Loftin took the photo in Tulsa, while driving it east to bring to us.

Wrong Steve that time, it was me, and my father who bought it. Yes, Stacy-Lewis was a funeral home out there.

I know, too many Steve L.'s. Can you imagine when we used to live near each other and ride around photographing pro-cars and fire apparatus? We'd confuse the heck out of everyone.

I'm glad Bruce has decided to restore it and not part it out. It was a good car when we owned it, but it's been allowed to deteriorate since then.

Sorry for the mix up Steve!

Another interesting tid bit is this car is the same car S&S photographed for the brochure and promo pictures. It is also the same car shown in The Black Book.

Bruce: It would be interesting (to me) to know the body numbers and production dates to see how close the two 73's were together being built at S&S? It's a shame how fast they deterioate when left unattended outside in the elements! (*) I agree.... the original color scheme is fantastic and very dignified..... especially when almost everything being built in 1973 was Omaha Orange and White! Where was Stacey-Lewis from?.... where they a funeral home or private ambulance service? THX-MM

Production numbers;
The Stacy-Lewis car 73-105
The Fort Wright car 73-352
I am not sure on the dates. Is that on the tag? If it is I must have missed it.
Does any one know where S&S starts their production numbers? I wonder if the Stacy-Lewis car could be the 5Th car for 1973?

Pro-Cars are falling out of the woodwork. Another great find and it will be fun to get her back to the good olde days when she was a beautiful ambulance.
Congrats

Glad to see....

I'm just glad to to see someone the caliber of Bruce-B find, save and restore the 2nd S&S of the same year and great history.... kind of like getting (almost) matching book ends! MM

Back