1976 & 1977 Hearses on Govdeals

Jonathan Murphy

PCS Member
1976 S&S Cadillac end-loader and 1977 Superior Cadillac three-way.

Both are located in Sudbury, Ontario Canada. While the exteriors are lacking, the interiors look to be unmolested.
Here are the links to the auctions:

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=344&acctid=6623

Year Make/Brand Model VIN/Serial Kilometers 1976 Cadilac 764 Hearse 6Z90S6Q295700 72,503 Condition Category See Description Automobiles (Classic/Custom) Odometer 45051 Miles
Removed from service - Unknown
Condition when removed from service - Unknown
Engine Does Not Run
Engine 8L, V8
Current condition / Does not start
Reason for being auctioned - No longer required
Fuel - Gas
Transmission - Automatic
Drive-train - 2WD
Cracked glass - None
Exterior - Scratches, dents, dings & rust are present
Tire Condition-Poor
Exterior -Original paint color has been altered.
Radio-No
Mirrors-Power
Windows-Power
Door Locks- Manual
Interior- Cloth & Leather
REMOVAL OF VEHICLE FROM PROPERTY MUST BE BY FLAT BED OR TOWED.

If the vehicle VIN does NOT start with a "1" it was not made in the U.S.A. - if you are an out of Country bidder - be sure you can import this vehicle with only a Bill of Sale and an ownership.
If there is no picture of the U.S. emissions sticker, it could not be found.
Please read and understand Inspection, Payment, Removal & Special Instructions prior to bidding. The onus will be on the winning bidder to prepare all documentation for export with no assistance from the seller.
Please contact your Provincial/State motor vehicle department prior to bidding and understand what is expected of the winning bidder to register the vehicle. The motor vehicle sold under this contract is being sold ‘as is’ and is not represented as being in road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs at the buyer’s expense. It may not be possible to register the vehicle to be driven in its current condition. The winning bidder will be required to transfer ownership before the vehicle can be removed from property.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=343&acctid=6623http://

Year Make/Brand Model VIN/Serial Kilometers 1977 Cadilac FLT Hearse 6Z9057Q298890 136,080 Condition Category See Description Automobiles (Classic/Custom) 425 Cubic Inch Engine - 7 litre
Odometer- 84,556 Miles
Removed from service - Unknown
Condition when removed from service - Unknown
Current condition - Does start / Must be towed-floated off site
Reason for being auctioned - No longer required
Fuel - Gas
Transmission - Automatic
Drive-train - 2WD
Has Suicide Doors
Notable damage - Unknown
Cracked glass - None
Interior-Leather
Steering-Power
Windows- Power
Door Locks-Manual
Tires-Poor
Exterior - Scratches, dents, dings & rust are present
Exterior -Original Paint color has been altered.
REMOVAL OF VEHICLE FROM PROPERTY MUST BE BY FLAT BED OR TOWED.

If the vehicle VIN does NOT start with a "1" it was not made in the U.S.A. - if you are an out of Country bidder - be sure you can import this vehicle with only a Bill of Sale and an ownership.
If there is no picture of the U.S. emissions sticker, it could not be found.
Please read and understand Inspection, Payment, Removal & Special Instructions prior to bidding. The onus will be on the winning bidder to prepare all documentation for export with no assistance from the seller.
Please contact your Provincial/State motor vehicle department prior to bidding and understand what is expected of the winning bidder to register the vehicle. The motor vehicle sold under this contract is being sold ‘as is’ and is not represented as being in road worthy condition, mechanically sound or maintained at any guaranteed level of quality. The vehicle may not be fit for use as a means of transportation and may require substantial repairs at the buyer’s expense. It may not be possible to register the vehicle to be driven in its current condition. The winning bidder will be required to transfer ownership before the vehicle can be removed from property.

The note about the car not being manufactured in the USA has me a little confused. Perhaps our Canadian members can shine a light on that.

Attachments

• 6623_344_13.jpg
    6623_344_13.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 177
  • 6623_344_5-1.jpg
    6623_344_5-1.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 6623_344_7-1.jpg
    6623_344_7-1.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 6623_344_8-1.jpg
    6623_344_8-1.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 171
This a standard note made by outfits taking bids where the car may go o a foreign country. VIN numbers have become standardized. VINs first digit show the country manufactured EG, 1=USA,2=Canada 3=Mexico and so on. Our venerable Crown Vics although The cop car of the USA were all made in Canada VINs all start with two. Since some of GOV DEALS item are black market seizure cars this warning goes on any listing where the VIN is not coded to modern specs a 55 Ford would cause the computer to make the same diclaimer.

The '76 definitely looks to be the more solid of the 2 cars. Both look to have been originally gold w/ black vinyl roofs. That interior in the '76 is my favorite interior material used in Victorias. I will never understand how/why people get landau bars turned around!

This a standard note made by outfits taking bids where the car may go o a foreign country. VIN numbers have become standardized. VINs first digit show the country manufactured EG, 1=USA,2=Canada 3=Mexico and so on. Our venerable Crown Vics although The cop car of the USA were all made in Canada VINs all start with two. Since some of GOV DEALS item are black market seizure cars this warning goes on any listing where the VIN is not coded to modern specs a 55 Ford would cause the computer to make the same diclaimer.

Thanks for clearing that up Peter. I was just going to ask how the gov would be selling hearses.

Doing a little more detective work the listing shows the seller to be Cambrian College of Applied Arts and Technology, ON . I bought a nice Coach from a Community College locally a few years ago the had a Mortuary School and used it to bring cadavers from the Philadelphia Coroners Office. When I asked "Why are you selling it?" answer "we got a van so now we can bring in seven instead of two we save money on gas and time". Perhaps the same is true here.

I don't think any mortuary science school would use a hearse that someone had taken a rattle can to. I would say that both of these were seized vehicles.

Perusing Cambrian College programs, I didn't immediately see anything that would call for hearse use. One thing to consider when someone like a college ends up with some vehicles like this is the possibility of a gift in kind.
I look at Govdeals a lot for fun, and recently there was an early 90's Ford rescue/utility body that showed up for our county on govdeals. I didn't remember it ever being in service here and the striping was not consistent with any markings here, I asked a paramedic crew chief who said, "that truck was donated to the county by an individual... it was sent to the solid waste department, where recently it developed transmission problems, and the county decided to cut it loose...".
The most interesting vehicle I have seen on govdeals lately was a 1976 Chevrolet Suburban, green and white and had a description of it being in great shape. It was in California, and was listed under the Classic Cars area. I am a little more drawn to putting in some zip codes in location search and seeing what turns up. It is interesting in that every now and then a county or city is getting rid of some 1970's era rarely used utility vehicle.

Another possibility is they were both abandoned on the campus. Here in Pa. the Police would be called and they would be towed to the impound lot in that situation and then the Police would handle the disposal. Perhaps its done different in Canada.

They may have been donated to the Industrial Arts programs ie. mechanics, etc. at some point.

Bidding over

And the results are in:

1976 went for C$ 1,908.40 total with fees, etc.
Two bidders on this one

1977 went for C$ 4,874.65 total with fees, etc.
Three bidders of this one.

Hopefully someone with the PCS got one or both of them.

Trying to wrap my head around that paint job, not sure if they intentionally made it look bad or if they just got lazy. And not sure how they managed to lose the Cadillac emblems on the hub caps. Seems that would take some effort. Hope they realized the air cleaner cover is upside down.

In any case I hope they found good homes

You can tell that the '76 had the S&S emblems on the wheel covers. Note the addition holes that are drilled in them.

Back