1937 Packard-Henney earse

Jeff Hookway

PCS Life Member Elected Director
Hello,

Non PCS member sent this to me the other day - I have no additional information. Contact the owner for any questions. Just passing on the information.

Jeffrey C Hookway
Membership Director
The Professional Car Society
hookjch@ptd.net
(973)862-6047
www.ProfessionalCarSociety.org

Attachments

• 1937 Packard Henney Hearse.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 332
It would be an incredible coach to restore, but it is extremely difficult to sell a "basket case". Too many pieces get separated from the car once they have been apart for a number of years.

That and if you did not take it apart it is hard to puzzle it back to gather unless you have done a few just like it. It's not like you can run down town to look at one.

Just to set the record straight, and with all due respect to the current and former owners, this is absolutely not a Henney. It is, however, a 1937 Art Carved funeral car on a Packard commercial chassis built in Bellefontaine, Ohio by the A.J. Miller Company. As many of you are aware, John W. Henney Jr. absolutely abhorred these ornately carved panel coaches and refrained from building such styles whenever possible. His riposte to the resurrection of this styling theme in the Thirties was the Henney Formal and Super Formal - neither of which featured massive carved drapery panels. As I said, this is a Miller and every detail of its unique styling - carved drapery styles, arch style, etc, - matches that seen in contemporary Miller factory photographs. That aside, what a marvelous vehicle and an opportunity for someone to acquire a fairly rare carved panel funeral coach. Thanks, Jeff, for sharing this letter and the associated images.

Back