1948 Chevrolet Ambulance - San Antonio, TX

Nicholas Studer

PCS Elected Director 2022-2025
Saw this on the "Vintage Ambulance Owners and Enthusiasts" Facebook group. It says National to me? Maybe Economy, Barnette? I am sure Steve Loftin knows! ;)

Anyhow - obviously something I'd like to see in person since it's supposedly local. I messaged the person posting the listing and asked if it was possible to see it in person in order to better discuss here, but I didn't really get a response to that question. It appears to not be the "seller's" car. From comments on a local car Facebook group, it appears he wants around $8000 for it although listed at $10500. If anyone is serious about buying it - I would be happy to inspect it for you. A few photos uploaded for posterity when the listing goes away.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/395076394196686/permalink/520732254964432/

"Now this is something you dont see everyday. A 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster Delivery Ambulance. Original.216, 3 on the tree. Pretty neat car. Front bench seat with a rear jumper seat. Came out of California in the late 90s. Will come with a bill of sale only. Helping an old man get rid of some cars. Asking 10.5k located in San Antonio tx"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 458
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 456
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 452
Now on eBay.

1948 Chevrolet ambulance

Up for grabs in an excellent rare Ambulance. originally a stylemaster delivery wagon has been converted into an Ambulance. i am selling it for an older gentleman who does not have ebay. he acquired it in the late 90's out of Northern California. He only has a bill of sale for it. it has been sitting for the last year so it will need new fluids and possibly gas tank cleaned out. selling it as is as pictured. great body. great frame. this is a pretty rare wagon with not many around. I have not found another for sale. engine does crank over and wheels roll fine, brakes work. it does run and drive. straight 6 235 engine, 3 on the tree manaul trans. I have video or it running and driving. cool lights and siren. a cool and rare automobile to add to any collection. any questions please feel free to ask 210nine00-five807.

wish him luck ten for a no title car might be stretching it. I would not mind having it as this was the car I started driving in. Dad sold it for 75 bucks

Attachments

• 1948 chevy fleetmaster 2 door sed.jpg
    1948 chevy fleetmaster 2 door sed.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 296
You mean even back then parents "gave" their kids their first car? I had to buy mine when I was 18, a '61 Chrysler Saratoga.

Well Yeah Dad did give me the car he had bought it new and only 33k on the clock. BUT and it was a big but I could not drive it till I bought my own insurance cost $315.00 A YEAR now this was 1954 big $$ then and no payments. At 15 I started repairing tvs and putting up antennas for tvs after school. Had an older buddy drive me to customers. Anyway funded the insurance in about three agonizing weeks,

$315.00 would have been a chunk of change back then.

I was fortunate enough to be able to go over to my agent's house every month and make a payment, but can't remember if it was for the Chrysler, or the '59 Electra 225 that came next, or the '63 Imperial Crown after that. Not bragging, just reminiscing a little!

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Wow! '59 Buick Electra 225?!! Lucky kid!!

A '59 Buick Electra 225 "Flat Top" is one of the cars that is still on my bucket list!

will I got given one of the best cars i would love to have back. Dad gave it to me when I got back from nam. I traded it a month later for a 50 willys jc2a. we all do things we regret. in justest really what kid would want a 9 passenger wagon with 3 on the tree. it was in just a little worse shape this then this. Dad was showing off the pipes on the 312 one afternoon and the hood popped up. so it had a blue hood on it and the side decals were faded. still a solid car with no rust and ran good

Attachments

• 1956 Ford country squair 9 passanges  312 police intercepter in 1964.jpg
    1956 Ford country squair 9 passanges 312 police intercepter in 1964.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 145
will I got given one of the best cars i would love to have back. Dad gave it to me when I got back from nam. I traded it a month later for a 50 willys jc2a. we all do things we regret. in justest really what kid would want a 9 passenger wagon with 3 on the tree. it was in just a little worse shape this then this. Dad was showing off the pipes on the 312 one afternoon and the hood popped up. so it had a blue hood on it and the side decals were faded. still a solid car with no rust and ran good

I would like to have that car too!

Beautiful car!!

No such thing as a "blind spot" back in those days! You didn't even need a passenger side mirror!

Never saw a Squire wagon with three on the tree did it have OD? Lots of stick Ranch Wagons and Country Sedans with dtick but no Squires. One of my rich kid friends had 56 Crown Victoria 3sp OD with an added floor shift and a Mc Cullogh Supercharger it used to eat transmissions. No worry Daddy owned a chain of local Super Markets and the kid had a charge account at the Speed Shop. That Squire was for sure one of a kind.

Beautiful car!!

No such thing as a "blind spot" back in those days! You didn't even need a passenger side mirror!

That's why I should have kept this one , no blind spot.:) yes and it does snow here once in a blue moon.

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 134
no OD in the 56 just the standard tyranny. this one did have the over drive. that is my older sister in front of it. it was not a 4 wheel drive.

Attachments

• 1952 willies wagon 2wheeldrive.jpg
    1952 willies wagon 2wheeldrive.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 123
Back