62 M-M Guardian Ambulance - Auction

It would be a $25,000-$30,000 car, if properly restored. Key words being "properly restored".

However, I think you are light on your cost of getting it there. I would say closer to $50,000 in restoration cost. This rig is not going to go to someone who is going to slap it together, get bored with it in a year, and then expect to flip it for a profit.

Love it when the term "profit" is used in any discussion about procars - :yum:

Very tough, if not impossible to do when restoring any old car. If you don't plan on keeping it for a long time and loving it, you had better just pass on all project cars.

Updated auction information

When Jeff and Derrick came to pick up the '64 for her weekend appearances the subject of this auction came up. Jeff is a car guy, and Derrick restores farm tractors, so they've been following this auction closely.

The site of the auction(s) is now at Summit Raceway Park (corner of SR 18 & SR 601 east of Norwalk) and the old Wolohan Lumber yard in Avery (SR 250 just north of the turnpike). Friday and Saturday at Summit, Sunday at Wolohan's. Depending on what one is interested in, you're gonna have to know which lot it's on or be here all 3 days. I do know the Divco milk trucks are at the Avery location.

Somehow over the past weeks Jeff and Derrick have had up close access to these vehicles. Didn't ask how they pulled that off. Their considered opinion is that most of these vehicles are "rough, very rough", lots of rotted out floors and interiors. Even the tractors are pretty sad. They said the '62 Miller-Meteor has $12,000 on the windshield.

This is the same weekend as the big Cruise In at Summit, so it could turn into a gigantic cluster **** !!!! Hotels in this part of the country are booked solid all summer, what with Cedar Point and all of the other attractions in the area going full swing, add the cruise in and now this auction, good luck finding a place to stay within 50 miles.

There is a web site with some addition information, it is......www.ronhackenberger.com . Pictures of some of the vehicles are there, along with other information.

There it is folks, just passing along what I know. As always......caveat emptor"!!!!

Last edited:
hoarders stuff, a junk yard foll of high dollar restorations. like the collection in neb just tucked away and left to fall apart on there own.

Russel which lot is the Guardian sitting in and the location please

To the best of our knowledge the Guardian is at Summit Raceway Park located on SR 18 at SR 601 about 4 miles east of Norwalk. We were by the Avery location yesterday and didn't see it there, BUT there are parts of that lot that we can't see without trespassing on railroad property.

I agree with you Ed, lots of very high dollar restorations!!!

Rumor has it that there might be a need for a on site crusher to dispose of some of the cars that are not worth bidding on! Just a rumor, that's all folks.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBzJGckMYO4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZfdWzUrQs[/ame]

Not a lot of on-line interest in the pro cars yet! Lots of action on many of the other cars. Just checked. '50 Henney Packard is at $500, '62 M-M Guardian is at $180, '47 Miller Cadillac is at $200. We will find out what they are worth very soon!

Which will be what it's worth..... on that day! It may be worth half of that on the following day! It is interesting to follow the on-line bidding on some of these cars leading up to to the live auction. The Checker airport limos haven't attracted any interest.

Attn: Russell Street

Russell,

Is it safe to assume that you will be attending the big auction this weekend? It would be great to get some highlights from someone attending.

Russell,

Is it safe to assume that you will be attending the big auction this weekend? It would be great to get some highlights from someone attending.

No Kurt, I will not be attending. However Jeff and Derrick are planning on going over for the auction and the big cruise-in. I also believe that our Avery Terminal Manager Chuck, and our Fleet Maintenance Director Kevin are both going. A few of the vehicles have caught their eyes and they're gonna "pool up" and see what they can bring home. Should be interesting, they both like Studebaker trucks.

Between the 4 of them we should get some pretty good information.

Sounds like a plan Russell! If they are into Studebakers, there are a lot of them to choose from! I think that '36 Stude Coupe/truck thingamajig is up to $14,000 already on-line! Interesting to watch the on-line bidding so far! Many of these will shock us!

'50 Packard limousine style 3-way(Shriner Car) brought $2500
'62 M-M Guardian brought $9500
'47 S&S Ambulance brought $3500

Everything is selling for big bucks!

How many will have buyers remorse once they get their prized possession home, and realize what it is going to cost to bring them back to driving condition. Paint, rust repair, and upholstery are all additional costs that people don't think about when they are bidding.

Back