power window switch wanted

Kerry Lange

PCS Member
window switch 001.jpg

window switch 002.jpg

window switch 004.jpgI'm in need of a single power window switch for my '81 Hess and Eisenhardt Olds convertible. It's a three pin switch that operates one of the rear quarter windows. I haven't come across anything with the unique mounting brackets, so I'm assuming that it may be a H&E part, possibly from their professional cars. It mounts in the quarter panel arm rest with two nuts from the bottom.
This switch does work, but it takes about 20 lbs of thumb pressure for it to raise or lower the window. The electrical connection is tight and secure. I'm guessing this switch is on its way out.

Spray the switch with WD40 and work the knob.. Might just be some dirt in there. That is a common GM power window switch.

Kerry,

Paul's right. This is a common GM switch. You probly haven't been able to locate one because you are searching switches from 80's vehicles. This is the earlier type. Go ask your local parts place for single button window switch for a 1972 Cadillac or Pontiac or Olds. Any GM. Probly 70 through 73/4ish or so will work. I think you'll find that should be your switch.

The mounting tabs are going in the wrong direction. It is more like a 1963 - 1968 single switch, but I believe that in those years, the back side of the switch was different. Haven't had time to search for it, and trying to use the casting number on the one pictured, didn't pull up anything in my books.

CE11601-lrg.jpg

Thanks for the research guys. I initially tried Google and then Ebay. Ebay had over 2000 listings for GM power window switches and I gave up half way through when I didn't find any with the same mounting brackets. After posting here, I killed some time by going through the remaining listings and finally found four. Interestingly, one was listed for a 70 Buick LeSabre, another for a late 70's Eldorado/Seville, and the final two for 70's Corvettes.

I'll give my old switch a shot of WD-40 and if that doesn't work, I'll try Paul Yates and Daniel's suggestions.

That's correct Paul. Although there were a lot of identical switches on Ebay, the mounting brackets were on the top and bottom end, as opposed to the sides. As mentioned, I did manage to find 4 out of over 2000 though that were a correct match.

Thanks Russ. I've sprayed the original switch in WD-40 and will try it tomorrow. If that doesn't work, I'll be in touch. I'm just up the road in Mesa for the winter.

most of the time it worth the effort to take it apart clean the contacts and peen the base back in. there a fairly simple contact that once the base gets loose starts to lose it contact. the pressure is you pushing the toggle down to keep the points together. GM switches were always soft metal peened over. re seat them will usually restore full function.

Lol yea im sure they can be found cheaper i was just showing this for the application. There are 2 switches. This is the second design. There were also the ones with the tabs on the ends.

no trouble finding them for all kinds of prices. but before you do toss the rag over the vice lay the switch with the toggle in the crack and tap the tabs tighter. why pay anything if thats all it take to make it work. worth a try your going to replace it anyway.

Well, after all the advice, the WD-40 did the trick. I'll keep all the other info in mind for future reference. Thanks guys.

Back