Criterion

some assembly required. but for 6 grand in the paint job you have though they could have at least done the headlight housings. those orange ones are going to look funny on the red and white car. it is tough to sell a basket case. but they are most lily close on what they have in it right now at the starting price. what I don't see is the rear cabinet. with the engine out still in pieces it will be a hard sell

It is $34,000 or best offer, it seems pricey to me. The problem is, as some of us know, once the speedometer gets going, who knows where it stops.

I noticed the "louvered" hood like the Beverly Hills FD Units were done. Anyone know who owned it new? THX-MM

Mike, I may be wrong, but I think this ambulance is coming out of the Bo Pound Collection from Gold Star EMS in Georgia. They had quite a collection of ambulances, some restored and others were either in need of restoring, or in the process, when Bo passed away. When they were buying, I sold them two ambulances and they are wonderful people. By looking at the ebay username, I believe the person who uses that name is Steve Vincent, a very nice man. Rather obviously, they know perfectly well they will not get $34K, but they may have that much in it.

The problem with the basket case is hardware. If you did not take it apart attempting to but it back togather is not a easy task. Just sorting pieces will drive you crazy. There is always something missing or not repaired . Screws,nuts , finish washers gone . The you have to question what they used were. At least if you take it apart you have a chance .
But looking at the cars in the back ground it is most likely Bo's collection not a lot of the Hortons around.

My advice it to fly in with whom ever you are going to get to put it back togather and look it over will. That might be the best money you spend.

I know of another basket case that is similar to this, and the seller can't get any interest in it from anyone, for half of this ambulances asking price. I know someone that purchased a Model A basket case, and it took over 3 years to put it all back together, while looking for all the small parts and pieces, and they were experienced with Model A restorations.
You would have to have another parts car along side of this one just for the hardware, and knowledge of how it was assembled originally. Putting the body back together won't be that difficult, but it is all the rest of the car that will be difficult. Who knows what condition the engine & transmission are in, and you wouldn't want to got to the trouble of putting it back into the car, without first going through it completely, because you wouldn't want engine leaks, or a bad transmission. I know that the engine work will run about $5000 to rebuild, and the transmission about $1000 - $1500, depending on what you find when you take it apart. Your upside down in this project before you even start. It will require careful packing of all the parts, and enclosed transportation just to get it to your location. What would you do if you found that a part or even worse, a bunch of parts were missing? My biggest fear would be the plater lost a part, and it went unnoticed, until you got that far along in the project. I misplaced the rear door handle for my 1969 Miller Meteor, and it took over a year until I found another, and it wasn't cheap, since the seller knew how badly it was needed to finish the car. I doubt that there is a Miller Meteor Criterion as a parts car anywhere to be found, unless Pete has one in his yard.
I would love to hear the backstory on why they are not completing this project since they have already taken it this far. Did the person that disassembled and started this restoration, leave or retire? Did they take detailed pictures of the disassembly? Certainly, it will be worth more completed, then it will ever be as a basket case car.
This one reminds me of the flower car that was for sale a few years ago. It was repainted grey, and was drivable, but a basket case, since it was not reassembled. Don't know what ever happened with that one.

In its present state, they will be EXTREMELY lucky to get 50% of their current asking price. We will be seeing this one for a while.

Apparently this ambulance was always overheating when at BHFD so the fire department cut these holes in the hood and it solved the problem.

That hood looks even more ridiculous. I would toss that one in the scrap pile as well. They should have just fixed the problem!

This car was owned by Mark DiGiovanni in NJ. He bought it in Las Vagas. Mark sold it on ebay a number of years ago.

Do you know if the rear cabinetry was still in the car when he purchased it in Nevada?
Piecing together the history of this vehicle, I know that Danny Ryder owned it, however, I don't remember if this is the same one that he purchased in New Jersey or not. I remember the original discussion vaguely, however, when I searched the archives of the website, I was unable to find the earlier discussion. It is a matter of picking the correct search words, which usually gives me good results. In this case, I keep drawing a blank in my searches. I have opened up the archives going back to inception in March 2009 to all registered members, so feel free to search on your own for the rest of the history of this ambulance.

They should have just fixed the problem!

Easier said than done; many of these cars had overheating issues, especially when idling at scenes in the summertime.

I've lifted the hood and turned off the A/C many a time when we would be on scene for a while.

Heat was a problem in the mid 70s Catalitic converters were new and few realized the heat they generated. Quite a few Police cars were set on fire by parking over leaves on the side of the road. We bought a couple of interior burned Police cars in this era where fire was started by the heat from converter getting floor so hot the jute padding would ignite. The City of Philadelphia had so many problems with their 1981 Le baron six cylinder cop cars they pulled converters and put "test pipes" in their place. When the EPA caught wind of this a mega buck fine came through and before city could sell the cars new cats had to be put on all. Quite a few Police depts around here pulled the hoods off and sent them out to have louvers stamped in them. I remember plenty of the local Cadillacs sitting at the scene with hoods open and AC off.

Back