Richard Vyse is THE man!

Tom Hoczyk

PCS Past President
A couple weeks ago I posted about a mysterious chronic oil leak coming from my '60 Eureka hearse. Because the leak dripped directly below the bell housing of the transmission, I was convinced that the rear main oil seal was leaking. I paid to have it replaced, only to have the car keep leaking. (Before you ask, I can't fault the transmission shop. They did exactly what I asked them to do.... replace the seal.)

Richard had replied to my post, saying to check the oil pressure sending unit. I purchased some oil dye and used a black light to check the results. Sure enough, the glow was right around the top of the sending unit, with a ribbon trail of glowing oil running down the edge of the transmission bell housing. NAPA had a replacement switch in stock. I purchased the special socket it takes to remove it, and this afternoon I climbed into the engine to do the work. No fun! The vacuum advance on the distributor was directly above the sending unit, so I had to move the ignition coil out of the way, and loosen the distributor to gain access. Of course, this required retiming the engine when I was through.

At NAPA, I also purchased a brass T, thinking that I'd like to tie in an actual pressure gauge, but the metal crankcase vent was in the way, as was the properly positioned vacuum advance, so that idea went out the window. In the end, I just reinstalled the new sending unit for the idiot light, and let it be at that. Even though changing the rear main seal was a waste of several hundred dollars, I suppose there is no real regret, as the original is over 50 years old.

THANK YOU RICHARD! I'll bringing some of my locally famous flavored martini mixins to Hudson, and your name is on the first glass. OK..... I'll make one for Terry too.

Thanks to all of you who attempted to help. Tom

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 245
even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then. but yes he was right on first then to suspect is the sending unit. the bakelite will crack over time. Oldsmobile's are prone to it but at least here's is up front. glad you found it not I better go look at a dripping 68

even a blind squirrel can find a nut now and then. but yes he was right on first then to suspect is the sending unit. the bakelite will crack over time. Oldsmobile's are prone to it but at least here's is up front. glad you found it not I better go look at a dripping 68

Very true Ed, I have replaced the sending unit on the 1971 Olds a few times over the years.

Nice diagnosis there Dr. Vyse :applause:

Tom, glad to hear it was nothing major. (I won't mention the already replaced rear seal, but at least it was likely to leak in the future anyhow.)

one thing we as car nuts always do is jump to the big thing right away. I have see valve covers give you the same drip on the back side.

Back