Old Ambulance Photos

Another ambulance/towing firm was Kost Ambulance in Mankato, MN. I've posted some things about them before. They also had the local answering service and a repair garage.

Interesting how many towing companies were associated with ambulance services. The owners of the former Beacon Ambulance Service in Daytona Beach also owned a towing service as well as body shop and a medical oxygen & supplies co., and, I almost forgot, built ambulances under the Atlantic Ambulances banner. So they hauled you to the hospital from the car wreck in one of their Atlantic built ambulances, towed your wrecked car to their garage, provided home health care supplies when you got out of the hospital, fixed your car (if possible) and all out of the same billing office. Now that's one stop shopping. Kirk's in Oklahoma also operated a wrecker service, I believe.

A gentleman named J.B. Holberg operated an ambulance company and wrecker service in San Angelo, TX for many years. He had an interesting fleet of station wagons and coaches back then: but this was before the truck-based ambulances came out. By then Holberg was gone an San Angelo FD had an EMS.

I've seen a lot of pictures of Kirk's ambulances over the years. Since they used so many C/B Oldsmobiles, I think they kept Summers in business. Steve Loftin is the expert on Kirk's history.

Back