Re-Purposed ambulance photos

a man can own one if he wants. there are clubs dedicated to the preservation and display of emergency vehicles. in spite of what some think there are a lot of difference in the different manufactures of emergency equipment.

30 years ago the ones we cherish were only though of as a way to get a hot motor cheap. a lot of good cars drove out and parked as they were cheap. to small for a camper and to big to drive around. part it out. you got space for it keep it,I would like to see it.

Well I really don't care anymore what people think about me wanting to save a truck based Ambulance, I know they all look the same from the 1970's to 2014 and to the "average Joe" why would anyone want to save a truck based Ambulance ? I'm saving this one because It was the FIRST truck based Ambulance bought by The Myerstown First Aid Unit in Penn. to replace thier 1971 S&S Cadillac Medic Mark l. and because my Friend Evan Butchers owned it. Its the same reason I bought my 1987 Eureka Cadillac concours landaulet fwd Funeral Coach.......... few people like these cars. To some...they are ..............I don't know not a real Pro-car ? because they are fwd and built in the 1980's ???? I don't know its strange how some people react when I tell them is a 1980's car. I bought the Eureka because it was built in Canada and served in Canada and I'm proud that I saved it and can show it The Same reason I'm proud of my 78 Horton type lll
I'm done my rant .......thank you

Mike for what it’s worth, although your Horton is not a Professional Car in the definition of what a true (passenger based) Professional Car is I think it was neat that you save it and restored it. I think it’s a very cool vehicle and just overall really neat!

And no they don’t all look the same from the early 70s and up, have you ever seen those little Wayne Chevy bus conversions called Care-O-Van ? They were nothing more than a small school bus with their windows covered up and double back doors added then topped off with sirens and lights. They were horribly cheap conversions but I think it would be neat to see one of those totally restored as well.

B25918.jpg

http://www.mclellansautomotive.com/photos/B25918.jpg

Heck if there are people who restore and collect AMC Pacers, Gremlins, and Ford Mavericks and Pinto’s, then why not older style box ambulances. To each their own right?

Mike, I also have an '83 Braun Ford Type III ambulance in my garage! Keep it up!

Back to the topic at hand (since we can certainly get off in left field), here is another repurposed ambulance. No longer saving human lives, saving......dolls?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 137
Mike

You are correct about being the time to buy up the box ambulances.
When they are just out of service and they are deemed of no value, that is the perfect time to buy them. Sit on them and wait another ten years until someone wants them again.

It is the same with any car. Sells new for say 10,000.00
After 8 years it is worth scrap value, say 500.00
Wait another 8 years and magically it is worth 8,000.00 again !

WTF ! But that is how it goes with anything !

You bought a pop in 1972, paid .15 cents, 5 more for the bottle deposit. 20 cents.

You didn't take the bottle back which was a Orange Crush. Today you can sell it to the right guy for 18.00

WTF ! If you could predict it back then, everyone would be saving them.

Here's where it gets clear...

If everyone had them, there would be no demand and little value.
It is when there are few of them and that is what creates demand and value.

It is like when you opened your Matchbox cars in the 70's and through out the box after ripping it open so fast. Now that box is worth as much as the car. It was 1.00 back then, for the car and the box.

Well, today the car could be 30.00 and with the box, likely 50.00 or 60.00

We just don't have the time to wait for that day when we will be able to sell them for 5 times as much.

The other thing to remember... kids today are into Honda's and electronics.

Maybe a better thing to collect are old Blackberry's or a Tuner.

Who knows, who cars... enjoy your Canadian Eureka and the Horton as there is only one guy it has to make happy... and that is YOU !

Get the engine replaced asap and drive it !!!

You will be glad you did,
Darren

Back