I Am Excited!

It Is On Its Way!

I have it on good authority, that the Consort has left Bill Beetschen's garage and is heading east, to my garage.

It Has Arrived!

The Consort arrived yesterday, but today I had time to clean it up a bit and get a better sense of what we bought. In truth, it needs more work than I had anticipated, so initially, I was disappointed. However, after taking the lettering off and giving her a bath, we have started warming up to the old girl. We have not even had the chance to take her for a maiden voyage yet, but maybe tomorrow, or Sunday.

Through this entire process, Bill Beetschen has been a super guy, a real stand-up sort of guy. I wish to thank Bill for everything.

At the end of the day, while I really was not searching for any more projects, I have been wishing for a procar that fits in our garage. Maybe, if my luck holds out, we will do some improvements over time, but that remains to be seen.

Attachments

• P1150939.jpg
    P1150939.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 133
  • P1150916.jpg
    P1150916.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 129
  • P1150921.jpg
    P1150921.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 129
  • P1150936.jpg
    P1150936.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 128
  • P1150937.jpg
    P1150937.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 129
  • P1150929.jpg
    P1150929.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 128
  • P1150930.jpg
    P1150930.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 128
  • P1150931.jpg
    P1150931.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 127
Consort

Some of you may know that Lucille and I recently bought Bill Beetschen's 1970 Superior-Pontiac Consort ambulance. From what we can see and the fact that it will fit in our garage at home, it should be a fun car to own, drive and show. I just booked the shipping today, so as soon as they assign a carrier, it will be headed east. I can't wait to see it in person!
Nice car,enjoy it.:applause:

Bill, you know well, any old car always need more. Having said that, it looks like a great car. Enjoy addressing the issues, and many hours of driving that will come with it. Keep us updated.

Unlike her caretakers, this Consort is very photogenic, if you know what I mean. She is a good ten-footer, but we are in love.

Nice try but in 70 GM did away with skirts on the Catalina. Note wheel opening moldings. and yes I think skirts would be neat. My fatherinlaw had a 70 Pontiac cop car he used for his go to the RR station car in the mid 70s.White just like Bills Consort.

Congratulations - we look forward to seeing Lucille, yourself and your new purchase shortly - just watch the roof lights on the way into and out of the garage. You know that I remove my Twinsonic and lock the garage door all the way up to fit my Cadillac into the garage.

Nice try but in 70 GM did away with skirts on the Catalina. Note wheel opening moldings. and yes I think skirts would be neat. My fatherinlaw had a 70 Pontiac cop car he used for his go to the RR station car in the mid 70s.White just like Bills Consort.

Did Superior stop using Bonneville sheet metal/trim on the '70 models? Just curious, as I think I have seen '70 Bonnevilles at car shows that had factory skirts. And I do agree, skirts would look great on this car.

Bonnevilles and Grandvilles had skirts through 1976. I think what Pete is saying is that the PMD quit offering skirts as an option on Catalinas in 1970. Do we know if this one was considered a Bonneville or a Catalina? In the '70s, all Superior Pontiacs used the same Catalina quarter panels, but those with the 455 engine were badged as a Bonneville. No adding skirts on the '71-'75s, as those ugly Catalina quarter panels were not designed for them.

Last edited:
Skirts

Your '70 looks great--and original--without them.

To my knowledge the last Consorts to have fender skirts were the 1965 models:

Attachments

• 1965 Consort comb_001.jpg
    1965 Consort comb_001.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 131
This is a Catalina, for sure. I would probably not add fender skirts to it, although I did put them on the 68, they are very different cars.

They must have removed the Catalina badging when it was painted at some point. Does it actually say Catalina anywhere? What size engine? 400 ci? Probably just says Catalina on the dash now?

They must have removed the Catalina badging when it was painted at some point. Does it actually say Catalina anywhere? What size engine? 400 ci? Probably just says Catalina on the dash now?

I think Catalina is on the dash, but I would need to look again, to be sure. One thing that I believe makes it a Catalina, is the lack of brightwork, also the plain black steering wheel. Actually, it says Catalina on the title.

Mid 60 the different names ment different trim levels. So a lot of mixing and matching of trim went on. Mostly dealer installed. Those years were the heyday of costumer support.were a engine came standard at one trim level you could order it on any if you choose. Or delete a on that trim level a standard option. the choice was yours. Unlike today. Buying a new car was a fun experience then. Today it's I have a,b or c buy one or step aside.

I think Catalina is on the dash, but I would need to look again, to be sure. One thing that I believe makes it a Catalina, is the lack of brightwork, also the plain black steering wheel. Actually, it says Catalina on the title.

Your Pontiac isn't much different from the Cadillac commercial chassis. GM produced the basic car with as many low level trim items as they could, to keep the costs down on the chassis itself. Rarely do you ever see any bright work trim on the inside of a Cadillac, and even the radio was a delete item for many years.
An interesting thing that I learned back in the early 1970's, in Massachusetts, every new car that was sole in the state, had to have a AM radio. I was told that the law was passed, because of the 2 civil defense radio icons on the dial. They indicated where to tune the radio to in the event of a emergency.

Back