Studebaker Ambulance

No, not another picture of my Studebaker Ambulet. This is a genuine, long-wheelbase, full ambulance. It's a '52 National Studebaker Commander.

This was the plant ambulance for their operation in South Bend, IN. The window signs say "Studebaker Corporation". I would guess this was a special request and probably a one-off build for National. Talk about unusual.

I'd seen this picture before, but this is the first time I've seen it large enough to see the window designs (which is the design National used) and the nameplates.

Posted by Studebaker club member Richard Quinn on the Studebaker forums, from the "Studebaker Spotlight", the employee magazine. Might have been nice if Henry had cleaned the tires before the publicity photo shoot...

Where is it now? According to the Stude forums, it languished at the Studebaker Proving Grounds until it was scrapped. :(

Attachments

• 52NationalStudebaker.jpg
    52NationalStudebaker.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 368
Thanks, Steve, I haven't seen that photo in a long time, but I think it's in Fred Fox and Bill Cannon's 1982 book. Someone along the line (maybe in Turning Wheels magazine) said that the front end of the car ended up in Standard Surplus for sale in South Bend in the '50's, but that's the only info I've ever heard about it. If it went to the Proving Grounds scrapyard, it's too bad it didn't survive like some that were rescued out there more recently. Maybe George Hamlin can comment.

Great find, Steve. Thanks for sharing this gem with us. As Mr. Loftin so wisely states, just when you think you've seen everything! Can't help but wonder what else is out there.

good shot. you wounder how many time the man behind the wheel cursed the guys for not cleaning the car properly. or what prompted the rush job to get the picture before the car could be cleaned.

National was just one of the corporations that would build on any chassis you dropped of at the plant. but the suicide doors I don't think I have seen another National with them. one more one of, on the car

Great find, Steve. Thanks for sharing this gem with us. As Mr. Loftin so wisely states, just when you think you've seen everything! Can't help but wonder what else is out there.

So true!

Even if the actual cars are no longer in existence, just having the photos of some of these rare beauties at least show us what was once out there.

Walt, like the rare (and very clear) picture of the Physicians Exchange 1935 Sayers & Scovill Olympian eight-column carved-panel hearse which until this year was never posted on the internet. I’m sure there are still many unseen images like that which are tucked away in family albums or on old 35mm Kodak slides.

I’m sure in time more of these never before posted images will get posted, as well as actual rare or one of a kind vehicles that still escape many of us today will be found discovered in barns or back lots.

Back