Skirts off

John ED Renstrom

PCS Member
Super Site Supporter
Ok been woundering what came with the 65 threw at least 68 caddy's to remove the skirts. I have always used a crescent wrench. But know that wasn't what came new with the cars. They go back on best with a rubber hammer. But you got to twist them off.

If you try the lug wrench, you will see that the end that you remove the nut with, will also fit the part on the skirt to release it. On many of the GM cars, they uses a spring steel bar that you pushed up to release from the bottom edge of the skirt, and then pulled it down to release the upper clamp. I think that is the kind that I have on my 1969 Cadillac ambulance.

I'll check but the nuts are 13/16 and the twist tab is a small rectangle. I just have never seen any kind of tool in any car so it hast to be something like that.

OK we asked because we did not know. went out to check it out and the shape is just right to fit into the flat spots of a 6 sided 13/16 socket. so the lug wrench will remove and replace the skirts on the Caddy's in question. now to find one. I knew it had to be something simple but I dismissed the lug wrench with out trying one. but in my defense a 4 way might not have done it either and that was all I had

Attachments

• IMG_4643.jpg
    IMG_4643.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_4641.jpg
    IMG_4641.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 220
He will void the warranty, if he uses the wrong tool to remove the skirt. :D

I get by with the creasent hammer to get them off and the rubber mallet to put them on but I know that wasn't GMs attention. This one falls into the never to old to learn category. Still think I'll pawn shop for a ratchet wrench for the jack doing that with the lug. Wrench makes no since to me. But now I know the. GM way to get the skirt off I'll have less stuff to pack in the car. But I'm betting that in the basement of a lot of funeral homes there is a procar Jack and a lug wrench. There never seams to be one in any car I get

A friend of mine told me that you should use your lug wrench, it is the right size and it was designed that way. Don't be mad at me, I am only the messenger, I don't know, but I do remember seeing a man using a lug wrench to loosen the nut on his fender skirt and it worked.

Just to jump in on this I bought 8 Cadillac convertibles from 63 to 70 all new and all you got to take the skirts off was the lug wrench it worked OK. I did always carry a small tool kit and in fact Channel Lock pliers worked easier.

the way that the skirt locks are destined you can slip them up and twist the lock to hold it and tape it up with the mallet. popes right in place

as this one was only third 65-68 I have had I wondered about what they used as you can struggle getting them on and off. but I had never found a tool in any one I saw that I could say was that shape. now I know thanks guys

Ed,
I think you are either over-thinking this or there is something wrong with your skirts or skirt hangers. I always thought that they were super easy to take off and put on....... with just a channel-lock pliers.

will we could have Paul relabel it what are the suggestions.

but I did ask and did receive a response that was correct and conformation of so. can't beat this bunch of guys

The title of this thread is misleading and can lead to disappointment :bunnies:

will we could have Paul relabel it what are the suggestions.

but I did ask and did receive a response that was correct and conformation of so. can't beat this bunch of guys

I could change the title, but I kind of like the title the way it is, because it draws you into the discussion. :D:thumbsup::D

Back